Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where or what were these installed in? I have a spare 6bt,a 95 GMC 1 ton with a nv4500 and a 454(my goodness,there must be a hole in the gas tank)I have an adapter stetup for gm,but no flywheel.If I must buy new,anyone guess at the cost??

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
They were first used in the P30's in the first 4BT conversions usually in the late 1970's to early 1980's chassis retaining the GM SM465 4 speed transmission. Most of these were sold by Frito-Lay in the late 1990's in the $500 to $700 range to individuals and salvage yards. Some were changed into campers, ice cream vending trucks, and some went to construction companies. You will probably never see one on DoveBid unless it was being used as a facility storage shed. If one show up on DoveBid you need to make sure it is not the 4 speed Borg-Warner set up as they are a completely different set up. The Chevy flywheel is about a half inch thicker than the one used with the Borg-Warner set up which is not interchangable. To further confuse this issue I have personally removed a Borg-Warner transmission (sometimes referred to as "the Ford set up") from an 89 Chevy chassis so you really need to watch what you are buying if you should locate one. Your best chance of finding one is from off beat locations - mom & pop auto wreckers, small businesses like carpet companies or ice cream vendors, farmers or garages using them as storage sheds, or in some cases local auto auctions. They are going to get harder to find with the recent up swing in scrap prices. The last one I have seen was in a P20 "Hostess van" early last year so there still are some around.

Your best option is to get the Dodge Cummins set up because it will be cheaper and readily available compared to the money pit you will encounter when using the Chevy version.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts