Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Yeah Mark, on the HX40W's I think only the super models had the 16cm2 turbine housing. I have one of those and it even has a T3 inlet instead of the T4 found on many HX40W. Even those came with 2 different size compressor wheels. There was a 60x86 and a 56x86. Those both have 6 blade compressor fans instead of the 7 or 8 blades on the standard models.

Steve, you mention the WH1C coming on a bit late. Wouldn't it stand to reason that having the wastegate open sooner would get it into play quicker? I'm just guessing here.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
485 Posts
The super hx40 is not the only hx40 with 16cm. There is a T3 flanged 58mm hx40 with 16cm too. Sold a ton of them over the years.
For a super hx40 I'm not aware of anything else but a 60mm super hx40 that has a Comp Wheel = 7 blade 60mm x 86mm & Turbine Wheel = 10 blade 64.5mm x 86mm
Holset's part # 4033666H

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Steve, you mention the WH1C coming on a bit late. Wouldn't it stand to reason that having the wastegate open sooner would get it into play quicker? I'm just guessing here.
what I was saying was that it does not start to dominate things until then, I went to town yesterday and was paying close attention to just when the 1st stage started to build noticeable boost and driving through my neighborhood 3rd gear 1,400rpm no real throttle I was seeing 2psi on the 1st stage and 6psi on the 2nd so that shows just how soon the wh1c starts to influence things. The more I know/notice the more there is to learn.
My plan is that when I install the new pump it's fueled for 160hp out of the box with stock timing so when I start the adjusting process I will have a solid starting point a brand new Bosch pump @ 160hp. One other thing I was thinking was that when I made the cable indicator to track waste gate operation I was fighting to get the wh1c to light, I wanted to know if my waste gate was not allowing it to do so. That experiment was what lead me to try the other route and I then started to increase waste gate opening pis as well as fueling, that was when I was able to get things to work the last step was the waste gate limit screw and I have not finalized that yet and doubt I will until I get a exhaust manifold psi gauge as that data will tell the tail for me I think...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
20210314_142542.jpg 20210314_150556.jpg 20210314_143716.jpg 20210314_150556.jpg Well, enough theory for me😉 time to roll the sleeves and get dirty. I got my hx35 mounted on a good solid pedestal. I think it could hold my weight, lol. Down pipe fits, drain lines up like before. Hopefully tonight I can start on the hot pipe.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Mark, there were 5 models of the HX40W that I know of. The 8 blade compressors came in 60x83 and 58x83. The seven blade was 60x86 and the 6 blades were 60x86 and 56x86. The seven blade 60x86 is a cast compressor wheel like the 8 blades and has the 12 blade 76x64 turbine wheel. The Super is a billet 6 blade 60x86 with the 10 blade 76x64 turbine wheel. Not sure which turbine wheel the 56x86 6 blade has.

·
485 Posts
Mark, there were 5 models of the HX40W that I know of. The 8 blade compressors came in 60x83 and 58x83. The seven blade was 60x86 and the 6 blades were 60x86 and 56x86. The seven blade 60x86 is a cast compressor wheel like the 8 blades and has the 12 blade 76x64 turbine wheel. The Super is a billet 6 blade 60x86 with the 10 blade 76x64 turbine wheel. Not sure which turbine wheel the 56x86 6 blade has.
I'm aware of about 20 different hx40 models. I was pointing out I'm only aware of one Super HX40 and that is the 60mm one. There is a lot of knock off turbo's that people are claiming are super hx40's though so I think a lot of info gets twisted.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Mark, I did some more research and seems there are 2 of the 7 blade models, The true Super is a 7 blade as you stated with a billet wheel and has the 10 blade turbine wheel. There is also a 7 blade cast wheel model with the 12 blade turbine wheel. So apparently none of the 6 blades are considered the Super as I had originally thought. I wonder if Holset can keep all these straight? About more than my poor brain can handle. LOL.

·
485 Posts
Ya, Holset is a bit secretive on their info. The super hx40 is part of their aftermarket division, which even our old turbo shop which was a authorized Holset repair & distributor had trouble getting info out of them. Our old shop ended up building their own turbo testing machine to be able to map cfm's etc. Holset also makes a hx40 that is a 60mm 7 blade cast comp & 10 blade turbine believe it or not. Holset is slowly going away from the hx40 & new part number is a HE400.
Crazy part is there is a bunch of knock off turbo's out there claiming to be a super hx40 but if one looks close, there is no Holset label & some of them don't have anything cast into the compressor housing & some say Turbone or Holshot or something like that. Get what you pay for should be the lesson here.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
20210316_212709.jpg Hot pipe built tonight. I decided to put a flex in it this time. 2 i did snd 2 i didnt, but it just makes it much easier. This is the 4th time building compounds, learn something new each time!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I also put a flex in the hot pipe, but I'm not sure that type will work between the turbines the tech people at Vibrant Performance told me that for a pre turbine flex the bellows style were required... :( Don't want to pee on your campfire, but don't want you to have to do it twice either.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I also put a flex in the hot pipe, but I'm not sure that type will work between the turbines the tech people at Vibrant Performance told me that for a pre turbine flex the bellows style were required... :( Don't want to pee on your campfire, but don't want you to have to do it twice either.
Thanks for the heads up. It's got a double layer that's all I know. It was with my first set of compounds in my Ford ranger(with the same 4bt) for 75k....no leaks. So I'm thinking it will be ok. Did they say why that style isn't correct?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. It's got a double layer that's all I know. It was with my first set of compounds in my Ford ranger(with the same 4bt) for 75k....no leaks. So I'm thinking it will be ok. Did they say why that style isn't correct?
They told me it was not designed to hold any real pressure good to know it will serve as there are many more size options in that style.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
They told me it was not designed to hold any real pressure good to know it will serve as there are many more size options in that style.
Yeah not sure what brand it is, quite a few years ago now. It was a decent quality one if I remember correctly. My drive pressure might be higher now, so hopefully it holds. I had a 12cm and 21cm and now it's 6cm and 12cm

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
If you looks at any modern diesel with twins they use the stainless bellows type pipe. The stainless mesh type like you have isn't really designed for any pressure exhaust like pre turbo. Under boost that pressure can be in the 40 PSI or greater range at around 1000 degrees. It's fine for regular exhaust but that has little back pressure.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If you looks at any modern diesel with twins they use the stainless bellows type pipe. The stainless mesh type like you have isn't really designed for any pressure exhaust like pre turbo. Under boost that pressure can be in the 40 PSI or greater range at around 1000 degrees. It's fine for regular exhaust but that has little back pressure
Well if it heId for 75k it should be a good one. Looks totally mint. I'll run'er

·
Registered
23 Posts
This thread has a lot of talk about possibly using the hx40/16cm housing paired with the hx30, so I would like to jump in and ask opinions on the hx35/40 hybrid with 16cm housing, t3 flange, and 57mm (I think). Char, you recommended the hx35 with 14mm housing, but it was easier to find/ better deal on the hybrid from dieseltuff. Hoping it all
works out

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
This thread has a lot of talk about possibly using the hx40/16cm housing paired with the hx30, so I would like to jump in and ask opinions on the hx35/40 hybrid with 16cm housing, t3 flange, and 57mm (I think). Char, you recommended the hx35 with 14mm housing, but it was easier to find/ better deal on the hybrid from dieseltuff. Hoping it all
works out
I'm sure that combo would work great. It's been done a bunch. I would have done a 30/40 But I've spend enough money right now. Maybe later. Mark at diesel tuff is very knowledgeable, shoot him an email with your specific questions. I'm sure he can help u out

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
One issue you might get into using that hybrid type is having a turbine housing too small for the compressor. The HX35W 12cm2 is on the border line to work well but when you tie the larger HX40 compressor to the same turbine it may not do so well. Most who have used the HX40W/HX30W combo were working on a no hold barred power level. If over 300 HP is your goal then it might be the ticket but not so sure about using the hybrid.

·
485 Posts
58mm compressor wheel with 12cm is fine....lots of guys even go with a aftermarket 60mm comp wheel with 12cm but that's where the choke just starts.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts