Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is not in the right section.... mods, please move if need be to related area.

Im in the process of engineering my 4bt swapped rig here in Australia and have been told I need a turbo beanie as part of the engineering process to be passed. Have googled but not really found an exact match. Are there specific beanies out there to fit the HX30W or is there a matching size I can search for to suit?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Brighty

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Turbo beanie? Does not translate well into USA slang... Are you looking for a turbo blanket?

Try googling "turbo blanket"

Russ

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
There were some guys working on getting a turbo blanket made for the HX30W. Don't know if that ever came to pass or not. Here is one compay that lists a blanket for the HX30W. https://thermalzero.com/product/holset-hx30w-turbo-blanket-heat-insulating-cover-lava/ Another option is to have the turbine housing ceramic coated. Does a great job of keeping the heat in but it isn't cheap. There are different grade of ceramic coating and the good ones can run around $500 here in the US.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I have the Thermal Zero turbo and manifold blanket on my H1c, holding up well and certainly does it's job. Was listed as a T4 but fitted well.
Cheers Steve

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
Why would you need a turbo beanie? Is it due to no other heat-shields and it being close to something important?

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Dougal, heat is the energy that drives a turbo. The more you keep inside the turbine housing the better it will spool. The thermal blanket wrap is one way of accomplishing that. Ceramic coating the turbine housing is even better but a lot more expensive. A side benefit of either is it cuts down on under hood temperature. Here's a photo of member Ryanroo's twin 6bt setup with all the turbine housings and exhaust plumbing ceramic coated. That is the first class way to do it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
Dougal, heat is the energy that drives a turbo. The more you keep inside the turbine housing the better it will spool. The thermal blanket wrap is one way of accomplishing that. Ceramic coating the turbine housing is even better but a lot more expensive. A side benefit of either is it cuts down on under hood temperature. Here's a photo of member Ryanroo's twin 6bt setup with all the turbine housings and exhaust plumbing ceramic coated. That is the first class way to do it.
Yes I know what they are for. But the OP says it was required for engineering inspection to get his vehicle deemed road-worthy after the engine swap. I've never heard of such a requirement but I'm guessing the turbo is too close to his brake booster or similar (RHD in Australia).

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I didn't catch that part. I wouldn't have thought the turbo would be too close to the brake system unless it's mounted in a high position. Those turbine housings can get quite hot but so can the exhaust pipe. I don't know anything about rules and regulations in Australia. Bad enough in this country where each state has its own rules on top of the federal regulations. LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts