Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I recently bought a HX30 for my 4BD1, the banjo bolt for the oil line that was on the oem turbo doesn't fit the hx30.

Does someone know what thread is in the hx30, where the oil pressure line connects?

Turbo HX30 Turbocharger 3592121 3802906

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
The hole in the turbo body should be M12x1.50 O ring for that turbo. There is a fitting that would have been in that hole shown in the photo below which is part 3919687. The fitting is M12x1.50 O ring male and the female side is an inverted flare and not sure the exact size there.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have another question regarding turbo's for the 4BD1T,

Does anyone know what turbo was used on the 4BD1T industrial, the one for a 1800 rpm generator set?

And does anyone know what turbo is used on the 4BG1T industrial, a 1800 rpm generator set engine? Both engines with the higher rating.

I don't think the hx30 will cut it for the power I want to make.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
Sunny48, how much power are you planning on? A 44mm HX30W should be good to around 225 HP. The 46mm Super HX30W should get close to 250 HP. After that twins would be advised. I believe the turbo used on the 4BD1T and 4BG1T was a TD04 model. However there are several possibilities there. There is a TD04, TD04L, TD04H, and TD04HL. Another turbo I see mentioned for those engines is the Garrett TB2518. I doubt that any of those turbos will outperform an HX30W. After all, you're dealing with a 3.9 L engine like the Cummins 4bt. The TD04HL I mentioned has a 46/58 compressor wheel, a 52/44 turbine wheel, and a 6cm2 turbine housing. The Holset Super HX30W has a 46/78 compressor wheel, a 65/52 turbine wheel, and a 6cm2 turbine housing. I'd say the Holset would win that match up.

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
I have another question regarding turbo's for the 4BD1T,

Does anyone know what turbo was used on the 4BD1T industrial, the one for a 1800 rpm generator set?

And does anyone know what turbo is used on the 4BG1T industrial, a 1800 rpm generator set engine? Both engines with the higher rating.

I don't think the hx30 will cut it for the power I want to make.
I don't know 4BD1T industrial, but I suspect it was an IHI RHB6. But the 4BG1T industrial uses a MHI TD04 with a large exhaust housing.

44mm HX30 will be good for around 35 lb/in. That's over 450 CFM or enough for almost 300hp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I got myself a HX30 off of Fridayparts.com I'm guessing it's a cheap china knock off because it's not performing like a turbo should.

I'm getting way more drive pressure than I am boost which in my opinion is never good

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
Those cheap clone HX30W turbos don't have the best reputation. The HX30W should build boost very quickly. What kind of boost and drive pressure numbers are you seeing? Several things to check.#1, do you have an intercooler? That is pretty much a necessity on that turbo. Hot air makes poor power. #2, have you checked for air leaks in the plumbing? Some of the clones don't have a gasket between the compressor housing and CHRA unit which allows an air leak. Not a good thing. #3, have you adjusted the wastegate to open later? You won't build boost much over 18 PSI if the gate is in stock position. You can either adjust the actuator or install an adjustable boost elbow. Also which HX30W did you get from Friday Parts. Some of theirs appear to be genuine Holset but that may be questionable. See photo below. That turbo has the Holset name on the compressor housing but that ID plate is not theirs. Which size turbine housing does it have? You may have gotten one with the 12cm2 housing which would be a dog on a 4bt. The second photo below shows the genuine 44mm turbo. That particular unit is priced at $525 which is super reasonable. Down at the local Cummins store and it would be about double that or more.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was getting around 30 drive at 20 lbs boost, yes I checked for boost leaks and all. I'm sure I got the cheap knock off turbo and I have the waste gate welded shut. I have a CAC good for 200 hp I'm shooting for 150 at 1800. I got it to hand over 165 at 1800 yesterday evening but the turbo was out for lunch.

Throughout the power band I usually see more drive than boost with the current turbo.

I've been contemplating trying a Borg Warner 318615 turbo. Any thoughts?

by the way this engine will be running at 1800 rpm steady, I will be toying with the governor to get the droop better which means changing / modifying the spring and making adjustments.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
First off, an HX30W will easily hit 30 PSI boost and a bit more. Runs out of steam around 33 PSI. You do not want the waste gate welded shut on that turbo. In an ideal world, the the drive pressure will be equal to the boost and might be a tad less. However, ideal situations don't always occur. You're getting 150-165 HP @ 1800 RPM. That's extremely high. On a 4bt Cummins, peak HP is at 2500 RPM. The 4BD1T hits peak HP at 3000 RPM. The stock engine which is 130 HP @ 3000 RPM only has 85 HP @ 1800 RPM. You've nearly doubled that so your peak output may be in the neighborhood of 250 HP. The Isuzu is just a different kind of diesel. It's HP curve shows 40 HP @ 1000 RPM and is a pure diagonal line up to the peak 130 HP @ 3000 RPM.

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I got myself a HX30 off of Fridayparts.com I'm guessing it's a cheap china knock off because it's not performing like a turbo should.

I'm getting way more drive pressure than I am boost which in my opinion is never good
A cheap turbine and compressor wheel will do that. Kills your turbo's efficiency.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have access to dyno sheets on turbos making 38 lbs boost at 26lbs drive pressure. that was pretty sweet that one, was the perfect turbo for the setup.

I'm not expecting to find something like that but I'm hoping to get something that will give me at least 5lbs more boost than drive.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
When everything is just right, the drive pressure should be low. Have you made any changes to pump timing? That can have a significant impact on engine power. Have to be careful as too much advance can blow the head gasket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I haven't, the tag says 14 deg btdc, I haven't checked it yet, 14 deg is pretty good when running at 1800 I might need to do a little adjustment but wait and see I want to do more testing before I advance timing

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
14 deg is pretty good, but not sure what the limits are for that engine. On a Cummins 4bt the safe area is around 16 deg. Some go higher than that but 16 deg is generally safe. Not sure it would be worth changing yours for 2 deg. I'm still trying to figure out your HP goal. If you're looking for 200 HP down around 1800 RPM then you'll probably need several mods First off you'll need more fuel. I believe you have a Bosch A pump and not sure it can provide enough without some mods. Also, it will take larger injectors. Second you'll need more air to burn it. Most likely will take twin turbos to do that. Not sure any single can achieve that goal. Your HX30W being fed by an HX35W would be a good starting point. This is sort of a guessing game as we've not have many of the Isuzu engines going into that region. Another area of concern would be torque. As the HP goes up so does the torque. Drive train components have to be considered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm shooting for 150hp at the crank at 1800, which when I find the right turbo I think will be quite easy with the pump and injectors that I have.

A buddy of mine had a 4BD1T on a gen set some years back he told me that one did 150 at 1800 effortlessly bone stock so I thinking once I get the right turbo I'll be singing.

I have a 6BG1 here on a genset it went to 300hp at 1800 bone stock effortlessly, with one turn on the fuel screw . I quit there because I was afraid I would fry the 115 kw generator that is on it

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
I'm shooting for 150hp at the crank at 1800, which when I find the right turbo I think will be quite easy with the pump and injectors that I have.

A buddy of mine had a 4BD1T on a gen set some years back he told me that one did 150 at 1800 effortlessly bone stock so I thinking once I get the right turbo I'll be singing.

I have a 6BG1 here on a genset it went to 300hp at 1800 bone stock effortlessly, with one turn on the fuel screw . I quit there because I was afraid I would fry the 115 kw generator that is on it
150hp (110kw) at 1800rpm is 590Nm. The 200hp recipie will do that: 200hp 4BT Recipie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm guessing that will work just fine, I'm currently trying to fine a 4045T John Deere turbo just to try, I'm a curious little prick and this is sorta a fun / try things project for me.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
Dougal, will that Cummins recipe work the same on the Isuzu. Those 2 engines have different power curves. While the Cummins reaches peak 130 HP at 2500 RPM the Isuzu is 3000 RPM. So to reach 150 [email protected] 1800 RPM the Isuzu would need around 230 HP @ 3000 RPM. The Isuzu has the same bore and a .07" shorter stroke so the 2 engines are essentially the same. Their power curve is totally different. At 1800 RPM the 130 HP 4bd1t has 225 lb ft of torque. The 130 HP 4bt has 325 lb ft of torque. That is a huge difference. Not totally sure what is causing that difference but I assume it must be camshaft design and maybe some timing. At the same power level, the Isuzu may out rev the Cummins but the Cummins will out pull it. If he already has an HX30W, what turbo do you use to get more air at lower RPM? Would the HE221W be a better turbo? It will boost a little faster than the HX30W. The Super HX30W may flow a bit more air so could that be a possible?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts