Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scored some HX35 parts.
The question is has anyone seen a blade set up up a groove in the side of the blades? There is obvious wear further up but the groove does not look like it is wear.
Think this may have been used on a Ricer Rocket.
Cheers Steve
Gas Font Tree Grass Water
Gesture Glove Grass Terrestrial plant Auto part
Gas Font Tree Grass Water
Gesture Glove Grass Terrestrial plant Auto part

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
Looks like a combination of hill-billy mixed-flow turbine modification and debris damage!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About what I was thinking also.
Even the back has been tapered off and there is no sign of what could have done that in use.
That actual bearing housing is worn so will be looking at using another housing I have that I hope will fit.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
That looks like someone was playing with something they knew nothing about. HX35W turbine units are balanced at the factory and that mess had to be baddy out of balance. What did the compressor side look like?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Comp side was good until it was shipped without locking the housings together, couple of bent fins now.
But I scored 2 HX35 turbine housings which is what I was chasing.
Was just curious as to what someone had been trying to achieve apart from making a mess.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
There are a couple different HX35W models. Early versions had an 8 blade compressor wheel that is 54mmx83mm. Later models used a 7 blade the is 54mmx78mm which would boost a little quicker. Turbine side was the same on both types.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Char, has the 7 blade with large circlip holding the compressor housing.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
That 7 blade showed up in the late 1998 models of the Dodge. It has one drawback over the earlier style. The boost control module is attached to the compressor housing instead of the turbine housing so changing the clocking for different mounting positions is a bit tough.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As Dougal put it, hill billy playing.
Have 2 turbine housings with the waste gate control on them. The Compressor housing has the Cummins/Holsett number that indicates this was off an International. The CHRA seems to be a common unit.
May just need a little repair to the CHRA housing and a new compressor wheel. Have another rebuilt H1C to rat for the turbine wheel and shaft as I believe they are the same. Or just fit one of the turbine housings to the H1C.
Going to be a little while till I have time to play
Cheers Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts