Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone put a hx40 on a 4bt? i would like to try this but not sure how to set it up.what size housing would u use or start out with and is it to big for a single setup? i would like to be in the 350-400hp range and not to worried about lag but egt and peak boost.i have a 4,000rpm spring kit and a p-pump.fire ringed head 9/16'' studs and a reground cam also have high flow delivery valves in the pump. any info or insite would be great thanx

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why an HX40? Due to availability? If so, what's the p/n ... there are lots of different HX40s..

It does sound like you have built the engine for high boost pressures! You might want to consider an MFS impeller or Ti impeller to help prevent the turbo from failing due to the pressures and compressor temps... just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
915 Posts
I dont understand the question of why.....it is a perfect turbo for the listed application IMO. I would look for a 16cm or smaller turbine housing. Not sure if there is a 14cm available, but that would be nice. An HX35 turbine wheel and shaft with 12cm housing would be an option, but if you can stand a slight bit of lag and dont want to lug at low RPM(which I am assuming with a 4K GSK) then the HX40 16cm would be a better choice. With the larger turbine and housing you will get more turbine power with lower EGT and drive pressure.....which makes everything much happier in the end;).

·
Registered
292 Posts
The problem with the HX40 is the exhaust housing sizes. smallest was 16cm. it has good flow but there are better turbos for the hp range you are talking about that push more air, and can be made to spool faster. The HX40/16 is a dog on a turned up 6bt. Rpms isnt whats going to get it spinning it is going to be exhaust flow that will move the turbo

I would suggest looking at a hi-tech turbo. or at least a Hybrid HX35 with a 14cm housing and a hx40 intake blade. Or better yet a S300 series turbo like the HTb2 62/12 combo which spools very quickly flows as well as a 14cm holset housing on the exhaust side. the S300 turbos have a better CFM numbers than the Holsets, a better air map as well as better flowing exhaust housings and they support better HP numbers as well.

case in point i ran a HX40 60mm/ 16cm exhaust housing on my 6bt dynoing 416 hp and it was laggy. with just the turbo change to HTB2 62/14cm i improved the lag a little bit about 20% better noticed significant EGT drop in the mid and top ranges as well picked up 28 additional hp. dropped to the 12cm housing on the HTB2 put down 468hp and had awesome EGTs and hp and spool up

Reactions: bossmanjoe

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree with Dusty, I don't think you would like the spool time. A HX35/40 hybrid would do better. I run one on my 6bt with a 12cm housing and it works purdy good. Its also a cheap swap!:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The HX40 runs bigger wheels on the same size shaft as the HX35. They have been known to lose a wheel if you bark it. The S300's are good turbos, and the S300G/HTBG are 57mm inducers, which would work pretty well to 400hp I'd imagine. I've got a SPS62 on my 24v, and it cooled well at the 400hp mark, but spool was quite a bit slower than the stock HX35. The HTBG would have the smaller 65mm turbine, so spool would be quite a bit better on my engine. Not sure when it would come in on a 3.9 though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts