Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys just picked up a 7 speed spicer for my dodge truck, where can i source the master and slave for this combo? I'm gonna go with a dual disc sae 2 clutch. Are there brackets available to do this or should i just make them? It came out of an f800 with manual clutch linkage. What sizes am i looking at for master and slave?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody knows? How bout some wilwood cylinders? Should i just go with a 3/4 master and 7/8 slave?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hydraulic Clutch

Xavier,

You did not mention whether you are using a 13" or 14" clutch or if it is a "push" or "pull" type.

The thing you need to consider is the mechanics of the installation. In a "pull" type clutch application, you only need about 1" of travel. How you get there is something else. In this instance, size & volume does matter, as well as the mechanical advantage of the clutch release actuator.

If a long clutch release lever is used, you can use small master and slave cylinders, however the stroke of the slave is much greater to attain the 1" of movement required to disengage the clutch.

I have a 2001 Dodge with a Fuller transmission and 14" clutch. I used a master that was 1-1/8" bore, a 2" X 1-3/16" bore and a really short clutch release lever. This combination does not require any real effort to disengage the clutch and has been trouble free since 2008. Napa has both the master and slave for about $50 each. I did have to fabricate brackets for the master to mount to the firewall and another for the slave.

If you want to see a photo go to http://www.sanco-bg.com/Actuator Mounted on Bracket-2.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much chansey, this is just what i was looking for. I will be running a 14" pull style dual disc clutch. Would it be a good idea to use the bell housing bolts for the bracket mounts? Seems like i would need to use a push type slave cylinder. I have seen your website, and it has been very helpful to me. I believe in one of your other posts you said that a brake master cylinder is a good substitute for a clutch master?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What should i ask for when i go to napa? Do they sell cylinders based on size and style or application?

·
Registered
704 Posts
that is a good question, would like to know for my conversion as well, i have to see what my clutch is. not sure how to ID it since it is already installed on my enginge,

·
Registered
339 Posts
I used a Volvo hydro,over air slave cyl.with 60lb of air pressure I could push the clutch in with my index finger.I used a US brake master cyl.l think it was 7/8 bore.i sold it to midnightplowboy on here he has pictures on his conversion

Dale

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
When I installed the 4-53T engine in place of the 4-53N in my '70 GMC 1 ton PU , I used the slave cylinder bore that was common in International and GMC medium and heavy trucks , which was about 15/16th" . The master cylinder was a regular brake master cylinder, you just have to take the check valve out........Otherwise brake and clutch master cylinders are the same .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts