Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the planning stages of my swap, a 4BD1T into a 97 Landcruiser.

I'd like to go to hydro boost, and to an upgraded alternator w/o a vacuum pump on the back. The factory NPR exhaust brake I have is vacuum actuated. I'd like to avoid adding a vac pump if possible.

Has anyone actuated their exhaust brake without vacuum?
I'm wondering if a Cummins style fuel cut-off solenoid, the (kind with two coils - pull in & hold in) style would work?
Would it be strong enough?

It may work with a heat shield, but I'm open to other ideas.

The goals are (in order): reliability, simplicity (ease of repair/replacement), cost

Are there other exhaust brakes that don't require vacuum?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Rollinns, I'm considering the same thing though I don't really need an exhaust brake. When I was looking at the exhaust style brakes there were electrically actuated brakes. I believe my brothers 01' cummins is actuated with vacuum. It seems vacuum is the most widely used. I was originally thinking about finding a way to control it with onboard air.

Good luck keep us posted.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It would be fairly simple to add an electric vacuum pump if you choose to stay with an Isuzu brake. My FJ60 has a 5 speed manual and there is enough engine braking that I don't think I'd benefit from using the e-brake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll look into the electrically actuated brakes. If someone has one I'd like to see pictures or get more details about the actuator. I'm not afraid of making changes to the exhaust valve area, but would prefer to have an off-the-shelf part for the actuator.

I'm going to use an A440F auto. If I changed transmissions I'd probably want to go to it's bigger brother, the 450-43LE (AW450), but my 4BD1T had a manual trans behind it and doesn't have the engine speed sensor on the injection pump.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The speed sensor is not hard to add to an engine not equipped with one, so don't let that determine your transmission choice.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
As I recall, the sensor is on the timing gear cover and not the injection pump. We simply swapped covers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just need to order the sernsor and timing cover (& gasket) from 4BD1T originally equipped with an auto?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I would try to find one on the used market. That will work with the Isuzu auto, but you're on your own as far as any other auto.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts