Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have the bigger outlet on the hydroboost hooked to the steering box the smaller outlet on the hydroboost hooked to the steering pump and the return line from to hydroboost to teh steering pump and steering box to the steering pump that seems to be right. I start the truck up and let it run for about 4 mins and all the fluid starts boiling and smoking maybe because i am running (ATF):idea: or is my system plumbed wrong does the bigger outlet on teh hydroboost go to the steering box or steering pump.

The beast is going for exhaust tomorrow all i want to do is drive her but have to get the hydroboost fiured out first and the brakes thanks again for helping me throughout the swap all your guys answers have been very helpful/ moltivational.

Tomorrrow when the beast come back from exhaust i am going to flush the hydroboost system and tehn put in power steering fluid instead of Atf i dont know why i ran atf thats just what an old school mechanic suggested sometimes you should just go off your own instint:)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
the line needs to run from the ps pump, to the hydroboost, and the from the hydroboost to the ps pump. they run in series. can't recall wich one actually goes where. someone will have a pic I think. too cold for me to go outside and try to look tonight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe it is pump to big hydroboost, small hydroboost to box. Returns from each going back to pump. I think the fluid is just sitting in your hydroboost getting hot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it is pump to big hydroboost, small hydroboost to box. Returns from each going back to pump. I think the fluid is just sitting in your hydroboost getting hot.

yea thats how i originally had it and it was boiling to i think i am going to change it back to the other way and flush the power steering with power steering fluid and see how it works:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
also if your power steering pump has two returns, make sure you have your return out of the steering box going to the right return on the pump. the constant returning fluid should go to the return on your pump at the back of the pump where it is feeding the center of the pump dont have it return to the side of the pump the side return is just for the littl burb return.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts