Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am interested in converting my hydroboost fittings to AN fittings and was wondering if anyone knew the thread sizes of the two ports on the hydroboost and the one high pressure port on the power steering (canned ham). Can it be done?

Ports in question are circled in red

Hose fitting, it's missing the rubber o-ring

I'm not quite sure what kind of fitting it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
different

My HB had different fittings. It was out of a GM 2500 diesel truck. Had #5 and #6 JIC. Go to a fitting supply, you should be able to convert to whatever you want.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This HB came from my stepvan. I'll see if I can locate a fitting store but if anyone knows please chime in.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
I was able to buy those AN (same as JIC) adapters form the local NAPA that makes hydraulic hoses. Each one cost about $22, I forget the part number, but they may be a little hard to find, and no one seemed to know what that style of fitting/thread was called.

Grigg

·
Registered
854 Posts
I thought AN fitting were 37* flare and JIC was 45* flare?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I am not sure on the fitting size, but I would be concerned about the seal. These use an o-ring on the tubing end to form the seal. I have not seen single fittings to duplicate this, but they may be out there. I suspect it may take a couple to make it work.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
That picture looks just right.

AN and JIC are both 37 degree. the only difference is the name, and perhaps tighter tolerances on the AN stuff (and higher price).

Grigg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here are the Summit Racing part numbers I used to get to AN -6 Fittings and high pressure hose.

EAR-991955ERL -6 TO 16MM X1.5 POWER STEERING

EAR-991956ERL -6 TO 18MM X1.5 POWER STEERING

RUS-620401 ENDURA HOSE END #6 STRAIGHT

RUS-620421 ENDURA HOSE END #6 -90 DEG

RUS-632620 POWERFLEX HOSE #6-10'

The Earls fittings are aluminum and the Russell hose fittings are steel. You'll have to check the power steering pump and box for the fittings they need and adapt them also to keep the hose and fittings the same. Low pressure power steering hose can be used for the retun to the pump unless you want the lines to match.

James

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the info everyone. It looks like it's called an 0-ring fitting or a power steering fitting, from what's been posted here and what I found today surfing the web. They do appear to be metric as well. So far 16mm x 1.5 is one of them and I thought the other one was bigger so 18mm x 1.5 sounds right. That's on the hydroboost unit.

James,

Was the 16mm for the pump and the 18mm for the HB?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Those sizes sound correct for gm hydroboost. I went through this on an early bronco conversion except with ford hydroboost and those are really hard to find fittings!

·
Registered
64 Posts
for additional reading search metric o ring fittings on any site like this, ih8mud, classicbroncos, etc... I know for a fact that classicbroncos will give you the specific info you are looking for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the fittings you want are O ring boss fittings... 16mm x 1.5 to a 6 an fitting, summit racing part number RUS-648060 $8, and the other is 18mm x 1.5 to a 6 an, summit racing part number RUS-648080 $11...... Those are the two fittings on that GM hydroboost unit... the high pressure out of the PS pump is the larger of them I believe...

I actually used my stock PS high pressure hose to go from the pump to the HP in on the hydroboost... it's a stock HP line for an 1984 Jeep CJ 7.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. I found a shop locally that had everything I was looking for and was able to make some hoses for me as well. I did convert to 6AN on all the the high pressure lines and those metric sizes you mentioned are exactly what i got. I took in my old stuff just to make sure. It made it very easy to connect the GM stuff to my toyota steering box. I ended up getting for the o-ring adapter 2 - 16mm x 1.5 to 6AN and 1 - 18mm x 1.8 to 6AN for the pump and the HB. For me I needed an inverted flare adapter to my steering box but this is the part that would be different for everybody depending on what vehicle it's being adapted to.

hoses, old parts and adapters

0-ring adapter

adapters and hoses attached to HB

pump and steering box side

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Great pics [must be a Sony] good info and NICE INSTALL!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts