Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a pair of D61/D70 axles from a 1990 Dodge W350 diesel that is going into my '63 Jeep J300 pick-up, along with a 4BT. The W350 has vacuum power brakes. Should I retain these (getting the proper P/S pump for my 4BT) or should I go with hydroboost altogether?
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
137 Posts
Seriously?

I don't think there is any vacuum comparison to Hydroboost. It's the shizzle, yo.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
you mean vacuum pump? they are pricy, but that's the route i went. I just won a vacuum pump/PS pump on ebay for 265... I have seen them go 300+

This is the route i went, but i also have a lighter vehicle, 5k or so loaded.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,632 Posts
The 4B's come with a PS pump designed for hydro-boost.
I did it on my Scout conversion, I won't go back to vacuum.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I started with vacuum assist and went to hydroboost because I was worried about relying on a Ford vacuum (diaphram) style pump for something as important as brakes. My hydroboost handles the extra engine weight and my boat towing great. Yes, your 4BT PS pump should have three ports on it so you can do hydroboost easily. My hydroboost unit was a rebuilt for about $70-$80. The slave unit at the clutch and the new hydraulic hoses are easy to get and I don't think I spent more that $250 for the whole job. The Hydroboost is more work and about the same cost as a Cummins vacuum pump but I think the extra effort was worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts