Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes, the hydroboost will function normally at any clock position. As you mention the MC must be straight up. This info was supplied by Hydratech Braking Systems, who I buy my hydroboost units from. They can supply a billit adapter to adapt any clock position of mounting to a straight up MC.

Paul

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
I have also dealt with Paul at Hydratech, he is very knowledgeable, and helpful.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/

I seem to remember hearing that they can be used upside down, but there may be a little trouble beading the air out, but nothing major, just takes longer.

Grigg

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a groove that lets oil drain out of the hydroboost if the seal starts leaking. I would cut one in if I turned it over a file will do it.

Carey

·
Registered
477 Posts
Great. Now I read this. I just took all my hose measurements to the shop to have hoses made. Turning mine upside down would have made the installation much prettier.
Where does everyone else have hoses made. No one local makes entirely new hoses. They cut the ends off the old ones and weld then on new pieces that they can crimp to. I didn't like the idea but didn't know what else to do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It depends on what style end fitting the hydroboost unit has. All the GM ones seem to have metric O-ring style ends. A conversion fitting can be bought to make it a normal compression style fitting. The ford ones are much tougher to convert. I had to use junk yard or new hoses and adapt like you said. The only fittings I could find new were AC style fittings that blew out under the pressure of power steering. So says the hydraulic shop guy. I'd have to dig up the gm metric sizes. I did H-boost on my bronco and got all my info from a bronco site.

·
3,761 Posts
I had no problems having hoses made for mine.

First you need an adapter that fits the hydroboost, it had a regular AN male on the other end. Hoses are no problem from there. If you have a hard line at the pump or gear box they have a "swagelok" type fitting to crimp on the hose, you then attach it to the hard line.

only thing is the little hydroboost adapters are expensive, $20 or $30 each.

Another option is the braided stainless Aeroquip hoses you do yourself, Hydratech sells that stuff too.

Grigg

·
Registered
808 Posts
Great. Now I read this. I just took all my hose measurements to the shop to have hoses made. Turning mine upside down would have made the installation much prettier.
Where does everyone else have hoses made. No one local makes entirely new hoses. They cut the ends off the old ones and weld then on new pieces that they can crimp to. I didn't like the idea but didn't know what else to do.
I have all my special hoses made at my local NAPA. They do a large hydraulic hose business and have never let me down on a special fitting.

Paul

·
3,761 Posts
Likewise, NAPA made some for me, and had the expensive adapters.

I like the look of the stainless Aeroquip TFE hose better though. I think Summit calls it "race hose", but made by Aeroquip, braided stainless outside, Teflon inside.

Grigg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts