Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased the 4BT power steering pump kit from Diesel Tuff and used this kit to power a Hydroboost system? Mark Wilson from Diesel Tuff seems to think it would but suggested that I ask on the forum if anyone has actually used his kit in this configuration.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Might ask Nascarmark since that is his company. I see nothing wrong with it. Has dual return lines which you need with hydroboost. Pump is most likely a standard Saginaw unit. The mounting bracket in custom made but similar to the OEM unit. The OEM bracket is nearly impossible to find anymore. The bracket and drive gear contributes a lot to the cost. Sort of surprised that style reservoir tank will fit a P pump. The OEM P pump models had remote reservoirs. It isn't cheap but few things are anymore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Char, I did ask Mark and he suggested that I ask on this forum. The pump is a ACDelco unit, part # 20756715, I've searched the internet for its psi ( was told I need 1500 psi ), but so far no luck. My 4BT has the ve pump.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
That is a normal GM Saginaw pump there should be no problem with the hydroboost. The dual return lines sort of indicate that was what it was used with. Still not sure that pump would fit a 4bt with the P7100 injection pump. If you have the VE injection pump it's no problem. Below is a photo of this style pump and the one used on the P7100. That one only has a single return line because the hydroboost return goes to the remote reservoir.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
20756715 is a factory Hybroboost pump used on late model GM trucks. The rockcrawling crowd has been using these pumps for Hydro-assist steering for years, which means they are usually 1400-1500psi and > 2.5gpm of flow.

The definitive authority on Hydroboost systems is VancoPBS in California. Shoot Van an email or give him a call asking if he recommends running that pump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Char you are right, I could not find the psi for the pump but it seems this pump was used on GM trucks with Hydroboost so it should work, thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
20756715 is a factory Hybroboost pump used on late model GM trucks. The rockcrawling crowd has been using these pumps for Hydro-assist steering for years, which means they are usually 1400-1500psi and > 2.5gpm of flow.

The definitive authority on Hydroboost systems is VancoPBS in California. Shoot Van an email or give him a call asking if he recommends running that pump.
Yes, great idea, I will do that, thank you.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
395 Posts
I'm no expert on power steering pumps & don't have any spec's on that new AC Delco pump. I believe it would run both just fine, as they are used on 1/2, 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, but best to ask around so Gary doesn't buy something he can't use, so that's why I told Gary he's best to ask on the forum.
Thanks Char & Goat for your input.
Goat is most likely right on the spec's, I've heard the same but didn't want to run with it, unless someone also backed it up.
Thanks
Mark/DieselTuff

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm no expert on power steering pumps & don't have any spec's on that new AC Delco pump. I believe it would run both just fine, as they are used on 1/2, 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, but best to ask around so Gary doesn't buy something he can't use, so that's why I told Gary he's best to ask on the forum.
Thanks Char & Goat for your input.
Goat is most likely right on the spec's, I've heard the same but didn't want to run with it, unless someone also backed it up.
Thanks
Mark/DieselTuff
. I have the Vanco hydro boost on my 97 tj with 4bt in it using sag pump with psc hi pressure valve in it. Using their steering box also. Braking is many times better than the stock Jeep brake setup. Slam on the brakes and my eyeballs pop out of my head

1 - 9 of 9 Posts