Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a easy way to id the year of a 5.9 motor without the truck? What is the easiest to hook up in a conversion? Is it best to get motor and trans so i dont need adapters?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Look at the Id take on the front cover ,take the engine sir # and call Cummins.The tag will also say what year ,cpl # ,
If it doesn't have a ID take ,look in this section and you'll see a few 12V pics.

89-98 are easy to hook up ,but will need more info from you and also what are you working on.

The engine and trans wil depend on what you plan on using ,auto or stick .

Scott

·
Registered
168 Posts
id

you can also go backwards, get the fuel pump numbers and you can access hp/torq and cpl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am first building a 65 chevy 1ton.to pull car/eqipment trailers. A friend has a "running" dodge turbo and auto but doest know more. Any help on what to look or watch for on these motors? Also building 53 chevy coe 4dr wanting deisel. How much wiring is involved? Whats cpl? The 53 has to be auto the 65 can be either. have 87 hyd. 4speed in now.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
1.Cummins 5.9 89-91 non intercooled Ve pump
2.Cummins 5.9 91-93 intercooled VE pump
3 Cummins 59 94-98 intercooled P7100 pump.

The choice is yours from these engine ,these came in the dodge trucks ,also engines from med duty trucks but will have some different parts that will need to be changed .

CPL = Control Parts List is a list of parts of which a engine is built from .

Take some time and do your research ,do it before you build.

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the trans. from these motors elect. controlled? which motor is best for conv. intercooled is better but what is diff in pump? On a budget so cant change a lot of parts need close to bolt in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dodge trannies are hydraulic until 96 when they went to the 47RE, which is electrically controlled.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
until mid 98, injection pumps were non electronic. The enly wiring needed to run the engine is 12V to the fuel shutoff solenoid, even that can be bypassed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
today looked at 92 3500 with 5.9 tag says cpl#1351 160hp torque? 132000mi with a hyd. clark? 5spd od? had a intercooler? in front would this be a good set up?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The 91.5 and 92 dodge 5.9's had the 21 CM exhaust housing making them a pretty big turd stock. The 5 speed is most likely the getrag. Not a real winner there. If it's a real good deal might jump on it. If it's much more than $1500 or so I'd pass and look for an inline motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont know about deisels but looked inline to me. owner said not a nv,getrag.or??? definit big truck? said f700? exaust housing on turbo?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The getrag is a VERY durable tranny. The NV is more expensive to fix and replace and has a bigger issue than the Getrag.

If it is a 92 350, it has the intercoolerd VE power motor with a 7mm injector. For BIG power gains on a stock pump, get a 89-91 NON intercooled motor and add a 99-02 Powerstroke intercooler with metal end caps.

The way to tell a early 89-91 from a 91.5-93 is how the air comes out of the turbo. If it goes over the valve covers, non-intercooled. If it goes towards the radiator, then it is intercooled.

The way to tell a 1st Gen from a 2nd gen motor (89-93 and 94-98) is the pump. If it has the injector lines coming outta the top of the pump like a porcupine, then it is a 94-98. If it has the lines going out towards the fuel filter, then it is a VE pump.

The way to tell a 24 valve from a 12 valve is the 24 valve has one giant valve cover vs the 6 individual covers of a 12 valve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oldestof11, thanks for easy disc. Have you heard or seen use of a clark? Look tommorow at a 96 3500 with the nv but owner says we could switch out for the clark. Any advice?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clark?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Owner of trucks said clark or klark 5spd with od. I looked its a BIG cast iron mofo! He said" its out of maybe f700 or f800 big truck 4-5 ton maybe" its on alum. bell, hyd. slave cyl. on bell, i could not tell if there was a adapter plate il ask tommorow. Im possibly trading body work labor for either 92 xcab dually that has the clark in it now or a 96 xcab dually with a nv he said with weight ill pull go with the clark so we could swap the clark into the 96.I know there is $$ differance in years really trying to research before i make aggreement.any suggestions thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
That sounds like a Getrag. Does it look like this?

This is the almight getrag that came stock in the 1st generation Dodge Cummins. Nothing else.

It is all cast iron save for the top of it. The bell housing is aluminum with the slave cylinder on the drivers side with the back side of it pointed towards the front. It has 2 pto covers and the fill hole is on the passenger side.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clark Transmissions are the big dogs of the heavy world. Like an Eaton Fuller, so the motor came from an industrial application. I would say it's not a high flow turbo houseing. Usually industrial do not make lots of horsepower, it's just made to take abuse all day long. I have a clark in a 24.5 Grove Crane at work behind a 2nd Gen motor. But, I am just some guy. :beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts