Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And i am thinking putting it in a 2wd ranger or a samurai. anyone have any thoughts on it? What kind of mileage could it get if it was a 2wd with a th400

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The fuel mileage has been addressed in dozens of previous posts. A simple search will give your answer and much more.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Put It In The Samurai!

It would be cool to see the motor sit still for a change...

while the samurai does the jitter bugbounce

search for mileage, the key would be an extra overdrive to get really good mileage in a very light rig.

·
Registered
292 Posts
TH475 came behind many a 4bt from the factory. they worked, for 10+ years so they must have been strong enough.

downsid e IMHO is they dont lock up. when torque converter doesnt lock up on a diesel the turbo isnt able to work as hard and efficiently as it is capible of, instead the motor spins more rpms and does more of the work through rpms vrs forced induction.

Id look for a stick but thats just me, or get a built 97% or better lock up torque converter and dodge tranny from one of the major manufacturers sun coast, Goerland, DTT, ATS. ect they make em to handle lots of go juice. actually i think sun coast is still unlimited hp 100k mile warranty

Also the TH400 and TH475 are the biggest thieves of HP

Next question you need to ask yourself HOW much hp do you want. or how much can your wallet sustain

Trannys that last.
ZF5 spd, NV4500, NV5600, ZF6spd, T18, SM465, Allison (many variations of allisons take it) Clark 5 spds,
Eaton trannys, spicer trannies.

Lots of options what fits in oyur application will limit the length of your list then you decide on final drive characteristics for your application. maybe you dont need an OD. maybe you do. maybe you need 5 direct gears and no od maybe 4 with a granny first does the job...... Maybe an allison with OD and electronic shifts fits your fancy many an allison w/o Od is better depends on gear ratio and what you are going to use it for.....

·
Registered
454 Posts
TH475 came behind many a 4bt from the factory. they worked, for 10+ years so they must have been strong enough.

downsid e IMHO is they dont lock up. when torque converter doesnt lock up on a diesel the turbo isnt able to work as hard and efficiently as it is capible of, instead the motor spins more rpms and does more of the work through rpms vrs forced induction.

Id look for a stick but thats just me, or get a built 97% or better lock up torque converter and dodge tranny from one of the major manufacturers sun coast, Goerland, DTT, ATS. ect they make em to handle lots of go juice. actually i think sun coast is still unlimited hp 100k mile warranty

Also the TH400 and TH475 are the biggest thieves of HP

Next question you need to ask yourself HOW much hp do you want. or how much can your wallet sustain

Trannys that last.
ZF5 spd, NV4500, NV5600, ZF6spd, T18, SM465, Allison (many variations of allisons take it) Clark 5 spds,
Eaton trannys, spicer trannies.

Lots of options what fits in oyur application will limit the length of your list then you decide on final drive characteristics for your application. maybe you dont need an OD. maybe you do. maybe you need 5 direct gears and no od maybe 4 with a granny first does the job...... Maybe an allison with OD and electronic shifts fits your fancy many an allison w/o Od is better depends on gear ratio and what you are going to use it for.....
hi there. the T-18 trans will hold up behind a 4BT, but in my experience the gaps between gears are too big. the T-19 is apparently much better. the setup i am going to now is slightly lower gears and an overdrive. this seems to be a pretty good compromise between getting moving and a good cruising speed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
hi there. the T-18 trans will hold up behind a 4BT, but in my experience the gaps between gears are too big. the T-19 is apparently much better. the setup i am going to now is slightly lower gears and an overdrive. this seems to be a pretty good compromise between getting moving and a good cruising speed.

the t-5 can be made to mate up so can a m5, big question is whats he looking for his final application. then a tranny can be choosen otherwise we'll all end up putting down a million tranny options without any direction

the t-19 is a good point to mention, the close ratios are very helpful with these diesel motors.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So. I need to find out what i wanna build. I am thinking that a Sazuki samurai? With a 4bt , danna 44's or 60's, but i am unsure of the trans set up.

Or. A 2wd truck such as a ranger? for gasmileage? I am unsure if it would get good fuel mileage. I no that my cummins gets 13mpg. And that blows.:(

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
So. I need to find out what i wanna build. I am thinking that a Sazuki samurai? With a 4bt , danna 44's or 60's, but i am unsure of the trans set up.

Or. A 2wd truck such as a ranger? for gasmileage? I am unsure if it would get good fuel mileage. I no that my cummins gets 13mpg. And that blows.:(
you will get probably twice that in a small truck, especially 2wd.

a 4bt in a sami would be crazy, almost stupid, a 4bt weighs about half of a stock sami.

you could just sell me the truck, cheap too if ya want :beer:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sami + 4BT = :)
Any lady in the passenger seat will definatly be enjoying the idle.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sami + 4BT = :)
Any lady in the passenger seat will definatly be enjoying the idle.
yea it would be front heavy. lol but one of a kind. and fast i think. my truck is fast but and it is 7000 pounds. so a 2000pd sami with full with axles may be a 9sec truck
and BAD ASSSSSSSSSS i cant find a hard top samurai so i think i may just make a hard top for mine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Allison (many variations of allisons take it)
Am I the only one who caught that, or am I just the only one with a dirty mind.... ;)

A list of the transmissions is in the same post.... read the posts please.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Am I the only one who caught that, or am I just the only one with a dirty mind.... ;)

A list of the transmissions is in the same post.... read the posts please.

The first thing that goes through my mind when I see "Allison" is "I know this world is killing you", but that's just me.. :rasta:

·
Registered
292 Posts
it has a TH400. with an Alison tc.
How hard would it be to hook a 5 speed up to it?

????

an Allison Toque converter will not fit a TH400.

My vote is find dodge with Getrag 5spd, the engine adapter plate, flywheel and clutch. or find a NV4500 with engine adapter plate flywheel and clutch or find a ford adapter plate, small block ZF 5spd and flywheel ect and install it. those are my three top choices. the dodges are my most preffered because they are more readily available and the clutches have more options and availablility for diesel specific applications:beer:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
it has a TH400. with an Alison tc.
How hard would it be to hook a 5 speed up to it?
Read the FAQ's especially on manual transmissions.

the back of the 4bt is the same as the back of most 6bt's. anything from a 1st/2nd gen dodge will work behind it.

i am running the complete setup from a 95 12v 2500 behind mine and it works well.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
????

an Allison Toque converter will not fit a TH400.

My vote is find dodge with Getrag 5spd, the engine adapter plate, flywheel and clutch. or find a NV4500 with engine adapter plate flywheel and clutch or find a ford adapter plate, small block ZF 5spd and flywheel ect and install it. those are my three top choices. the dodges are my most preffered because they are more readily available and the clutches have more options and availablility for diesel specific applications:beer:
Thats what the guy that rebuilt it said.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i no a guy that said he can get me a new nv4500 for 1500.
So is that good price?
And how much should a flywheel, Bell housing, mounting plate, cost? Is the nv4500 a hydrolic throw out or manuwell?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts