Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 Mazda RX-7. Everyone knows that they burn oil like crazy AND get bad gas mileage.

I'm not looking for crazy power, just a VERY interesting swap.

So, what would i need to basically convert a Gas chassis to a diesel chassis. BTW, I plan on doing custom gauge setups. Also I need a compact manual transmission to connect to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
id suggest reading on the forums. you are welcome to dream.

im not trying to shake you up, but i dont think you can do it.

the motor is too tall and at least 2.5 times heavier than your current motor.

matter of fact, the cummins will weigh MORE THAN 1/4 of the weight of an entire stock rx7. and is 1/6th the length of the entire rx7. your car is only 50 inches tall and the motor is 30 inches tall.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
While my motto usually is "Where there's a Sawzall, there's a way!", I gotta go with MCInfantry on this. 4BT would be a bit much. But, there's also a guy that's shoved one into a Camaro, so..

I'd look more towards a VW or Mercedes diesel to swap in to get a Diesel fix.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Like the guys said above,

Diesel swap - Good Idea
Diesel swap w/ 4BT = impractical.

Find a smaller diesel engine more suited for your application, like a VW, nissan, or Toyota. The 4BT is for a full framed larger vehicles with plenty of hood clearance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd do it, and run a hood scoop. There bolting some nasty SBC's in these things now-a-days. IIRC that's a second gen. Considering the BBC's and SBC's being slammed into these cars, I don't see a weight problem. Heigth will be an issue, but if you run a chevy adapter it clocks the motor 15* so that will help a little.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'd do it, and run a hood scoop. There bolting some nasty SBC's in these things now-a-days. IIRC that's a second gen. Considering the BBC's and SBC's being slammed into these cars, I don't see a weight problem. Heigth will be an issue, but if you run a chevy adapter it clocks the motor 15* so that will help a little.
sounds like an interesting project! I would try an find a VW diesel to put in there, some of them can make some really good power and would fit A LOT better than a 4bt. either that or an MB diesel but i'm not sure how much additional power you can get out of them. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a thought, what if you take the stock oil pan, and knock off the sump, go to a dry sump style remote resivor? I dont have a 4bt in my possesion yet to do masurements, but I would think the 30" height could become 25" or so. Just a neewbie throwing out an idea.

·
Registered
233 Posts
They do make adapters to put VW to susuki trans that would fit good. I saw a first gen with a 5.0 ford in it and it whent 11 flat with a staock mustang motor and carb

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Maybe you could install the Cummins mid-engine and kinda tuck your elbows and buns in when you drive....?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Indy Cummins

It's possible. I was trying to find an online article, but I think in the '50's or '60's Cummins fielded a I-6 Turbo diesel Indy car. The engine was mounted side-ways, and it totally out-powered the field. It had to retire early because of oiling problems -Ithink-. It was so powerful though it spooked Indy officials and they banned diesel powered cars from then on. Just a lil FYI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts