Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new here to this forum and Isuzu engines, but not new to diesels in general.

This past week I happened upon a 4BD2T in the wild, and picked it up (with the auto trans attached) for a whopping total of.....$50...
Anyhow, the history on the engine (and what it came out of) is entirely unknown....I haven't even picked it up yet, all I know about it is that it appeared to be intact and not messed with, and that I could turn it over with a prybar, so it's not seized. Judging by the nature of the auction I was at, likely that the truck it was in was scrapped and the engine was being saved for some future project. Been sitting in the desert of southern California for god knows how long...

My plan as it sits right now is to do some minor investigating on the engine to make sure it isn't going to launch itself in to orbit if I try starting it, and then get her running. Beyond that, I have no solid plans, as of yet...

I'm thinking of doing a budget offroad rig build with it. I'm pretty partial to Toyotas in general, so Ideally I'd like to find an older Toyota chassis with a bad/missing engine and a decent body that I could swap this in to. Unfortunately with Toyotas, it always seems to be that the rough ones have a great engine but a bad body....

So all of that is to say, I'm open to ideas. What do you guys think I should put this in to? Anyone in the southern California/ Arizona area that's got an old project vehicle that's missing an engine that they need to get rid of?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry the photo is bad quality, but this is the only photo that I have of it so far.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The auto transmission behind the 4BD2T is likely a Jatco JR403E. The engine probably is from and Isuzu NPR or Chevy Tiltmaster delivery van. The 4BD2T is an indirect injection engine that replaced the 4BD1T and was used until 1998. The engine came with an intercooler and had 134 HP @ 3000 RPM and 254 lb ft torque @ 2000 RPM. To use other transmissions will require an aftermarket adapter. There is a whole section here on the forum for the Isuzu engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum. The auto transmission behind the 4BD2T is likely a Jatco JR403E. The engine probably is from and Isuzu NPR or Chevy Tiltmaster delivery van. The 4BD2T is an indirect injection engine that replaced the 4BD1T and was used until 1998. The engine came with an intercooler and had 134 HP @ 3000 RPM and 254 lb ft torque @ 2000 RPM. To use other transmissions will require an aftermarket adapter. There is a whole section here on the forum for the Isuzu engines.
Thanks. Yeah, I found the manual for the 4BD1T on here. I just googled a 403E, and that looks exactly like the transmission that is behind it. I wonder if there's a transfercase that will bolt up to it? I'm thinking about selling the trans, as ideally whatever project I put it in would have a manual trans and transfer case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other thought is... Should I get the engine running, sell it (and the trans) and use the profit to buy a project?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The other thought is... Should I get the engine running, sell it (and the trans) and use the profit to buy a project?
Well...gee...you're going to have to decide what you actually want.

A Toyota/Isuzu would be an interesting and involved project...and, quite the conversation piece.

There would be any number of easier Toyota trail rig projects you could build.

Roy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...gee...you're going to have to decide what you actually want.

A Toyota/Isuzu would be an interesting and involved project...and, quite the conversation piece.

There would be any number of easier Toyota trail rig projects you could build.

Roy
Yeah, definitely something to think about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts