Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my neighbor builds lawnmowers for pulling. and i was helping him work on his today and we started talking about diesels. and i had, what i think, is a pretty neat idea. so my idea is take a lawn mower, box the frame, put a narrowed D60 or a 14 bolt in it with a SM456 or a 420 and a 4BT. anyone think this is a good idea? i just might build one if i get the money.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol well, i was really bord. and just coming up with dumb ideas. but you gotta admit, it would be pretty cool.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
4BT is a bit heavy for a mower...

But I was eyeballing a VW diesel in a Dasher at the junkyard pretty hard the other day.. I've got a riding mower in need of a motor..

And I've been researching the diesel motorcycle option. A 4BT *might* not be out of the question there.. (Hey, if they can shove a cast-iron block 350 in a bike.. Why not?)

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
yeah, but mowers have no suspension, so i dont think it would be that big of a deal.

john deere has a mower with a 3 cyl diesel but its only about 15-20 horse.
It's the tires that would be screaming for mercy.. Would need to up-rate considerably.

·
Registered
10 Posts
lol well, i was really bord. and just coming up with dumb ideas. but you gotta admit, it would be pretty cool.

when i'm bored i think of shit like building a Jeep for the Baja 1000, or a rock buggy, or something that might actually be useful...
BUT...
if i were to build a lawn mower...
it would be electric... have a camera on the front of it, use the power train out of an electric wheel chair.. and be remote controled so i can sit on my lazy ass dreaming up cool shit for my Jeep while sipping on a cold one in the shade watching my remote controled lawn mower do all the work!!! :D:D

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
when i'm bored i think of shit like building a Jeep for the Baja 1000, or a rock buggy, or something that might actually be useful...
BUT...
if i were to build a lawn mower...
it would be electric... have a camera on the front of it, use the power train out of an electric wheel chair.. and be remote controled so i can sit on my lazy ass dreaming up cool shit for my Jeep while sipping on a cold one in the shade watching my remote controled lawn mower do all the work!!! :D:D
Why not just get one that's also automatic? Of course, you have to lay out the perimeter first, but that's a one-time deal.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...ct_id=4806189&sourceid=1500000000000003260350

As far as the "strange fantasy" builds go.. I heavily encourage it! The way things are heading in the world today, we need a lot more of the "wide open / blank sheet / outside the box" thinking. The initial idea may not be practical, but the process of thinking it through *might* yield something of use..

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Get a large CC roadbike engine. I'm sure that would be a lot funner in a tiny weigh nothing rig than a 4BT, not to mention cost a tiny fraction. The 4BT would never have any load on it. It would just rev to the governor and spin tires. I had a CR125 motor/tranny in an electric golf cart. That was scary fast to 40 MPH. And what's a 125 2 stroke putting out? 20 HP?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I will go against the grain and say I like it. I have seen pulling "lawn mowers" with small blocks in them. The only thing that is lawn mower is the hood and fenders...if that. However, they are funny to watch.

Add to that I also have a full size pulling tractor and you can see my ******* roots :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
YOu guys are lacking imagination. None of this compares to my idea to build a 4bt powered ultralight. I'm thinking it's going to be a bit more like a motor added to a hanglider that you jump off a cliff with. I hope to sell it to Iranians. ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
^ Ditto!!!!

I have moments of sickness that end with me dreaming up some really insane vehicular contraption, so I'm just glad I'm not the only one. As for the pulling mower idea, as was already mentioned, the torque of the 4bt would be wasted because you would never have enough traction to make use of it. A much lighter VW diesel would work better. Want a bit more? Look for a turbo diesel Volvo, which uses a 6 cyl. VW/Audi diesel. Its still MUCH lighter than a 4bt, and would still have more than enough to get the tires spinning, especially with very steep gearing.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Theres a guy around here that took a 3cyl turbocharged diesel motor an pulls with it. It has so much torque for a lawnmower its unbelieveable. Cat makes a 3 cyl diesel that makes 25horse, Throw a turbo on there an your good for prolly 35horse. A friend of mine pulls in the pro stock series of garden tractors and there getting around 80hp out of a 70cube single piston motor. I'm going one step further an building my own gas turbine worth about 150hp and 2/3rd the weight. Theres no class for pulling it in except for exhibition. If you have the motor and the money/time to do, why not? Do it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You wouldn't be the first to build a gas turbine powered mower. I know a machinist that put a helicopter turbine on a lawnmower. It makes rediculous noise and taps out at 5 MPH.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh ya, Tim the tool man taylor right? ;) For those who arent familar with Gas Turbines an thier power, 150hp comes in a package about 1foot wide by about 14inches long an weighing somewhere less than 20lbs. The heaviest part is the reduction gearbox that has to turn 50k rpms into about 3k. Anyway, can you get pictures of that turbine mower?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts