Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into putting a 4bt in my gmc 3/4 ton pick up and i was needing to know if it should pull my truck good or not. Also I wanted to know how much it would cost to git it going and what I would need. If any one can help me out I would sure appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was looking into putting a 4bt in my gmc 3/4 ton pick up and i was needing to know if it should pull my truck good or not. Also I wanted to know how much it would cost to git it going and what I would need. If any one can help me out I would sure appreciate it. Thanks

Need more info here chief, the questions are very vague. Engine costs range from the Low $1000's up to $5500 for a fully re-furbed unit.

What exactly are you going to do with it? Tow? Offroad? Daily Driver only?

Is it 2wd? 4wd? Manual? Auto?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, you've got a pretty heavy rig already, I'd say in the neighborhood of 5-5500lbs. If you're going to tow a lot, you might consider a 6BT as they're they cost pretty much the same. A 4BT should be ok if you're pulling a light load. For a lot of towing, especially in the hills, the 6BT would be better suited. Check out the FAQ thread for a lot of good tips on transmissions. \

While your stock SM465 would work with the 4/6BT the gear ratios aren't the perfect setup for the diesel's RPM range (towing especially). Something like the NV4500/FordZF 6 speed might be a better choice. Do some reading, there are several FS chevy conversions on here, some with 4's & 6 cyls.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thank you for your help, but I have and nv4500 transmission will that bolt up to the 4bt or do I need and adapter plate? Also what is the price tag on making the 4bt twin turbo?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
To mount any transmission to the B series Cummins you need a engine adapter

Gm Nv4500 96 or newer will bolt up to a Dodge bellhousing 94-2001
Dodge Nv 4500 94-2001

Engine adapter dodge auto or manual 94-2001

or use a Gm nv4500 with the P-3o adapter .

Scott

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am going to do all of what you said plus i want good fuel mileage. It is 4x4 with a manual
What year is your Chevy? Was it already set up with the NV 4500?
Bob B.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
a twin setup would be, umm trial and error. that i know of only one guy on here has accually done it, but it all depends on your turbos. i would go with the 6bt for your truck. my father has a 98 ram 24v and with a supechips programmer he gets about 19.5 in the city. just my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Airborne,

The chevy adapter plate is very expensive. If you run Dodge stuff, buy an adapter plate off car-part.com. Get them for about $125.00 which is much cheaper than on ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts