Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I started prepping my 4BT for installation in my J300. I replaced the front and rear main seals and took care of the KDP (which hadn't moved at all). One thing that surprised me is how spotless the inside of the engine was (not a trace of oil baking), considering how dirty it was outside. Could this be a recent rebuild?

When I bought my Frito Lay van, the brakes barely worked, and the serpentine tensioner was bouncing up and down (it still tensions the belt, but I don't know what the spec is). I don't know what was causing it, and I'm not sure I want to replace the P/S pump right now. If I need to do it later on, the front cover doesn't need to come off, does it?

Does this look like the correct hole for the pilot bushing in the crank rear? All the pilot bushing holes I've seen were much smaller in diameter. I'm using a Dodge CTD setup.
My last question - Who sells the 3200 RPM governor spring? Are these available through Cummins? There is a dealer near where I work...
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Banned
427 Posts
as a general ruleif the seals were installed correctly there life of the engine seals. if they start leaking its because of engine blow by ( hi milage ) looks like they kept the oil changed good as clean as it is.
bob

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are probably right, but with the seals being so accessible now, why take the chances? I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time...
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
My pilot bushing on my Dodge Cummins is mounted in the flywheel. Check the center bore on your flywheel to see what you have there.

The governor spring can be purchased from: http://www.piersdiesel.com/

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
As far as the insides of the engine being so clean, I've found mine in the same, no sludge, if you wipe the oil off, its clean. Mine's built in 1988, no rebuilds and who knows how many miles.

·
Banned
427 Posts
mikel,
dont touch sealing surface of new seals with your hands, outside only !!!!!!!!.
they,ll leak if you do............

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First time I've heard that.
I coat new seals with oil or grease. With my fingers.
Same thing here. I don't think a seal running dry at start up is a good thing.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
See page 7-108 in your Cummins Service Manual. The front seal is usually imprinted with "install dry" There is a teflon ring in the seal that transfers teflon to the crankshaft which forms the new sealing surface. The crankshaft sealing surface is usually cleaned with alcohol or ether to aid in material transfer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In a lesser engine the seals would be life of engine. But a B engine can go through several seals in 200-600K miles.

·
Banned
427 Posts
you,d think they,d read the manuel before maint. say you covered it in grease eh ???????? you goofed bad pal, its junk now . but what do i know i,ve only installed over a hundred of em in cummins engines. all the same..... clearly states install dry- no skin contact on sealing surface .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts