Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I bought my 4BTA about a month ago. I am planing on a swap to a 97-02 F-150 stepside. I am still shoping around for the truck but I was wondering if it would be possible to get this motor runing on the stand to deside if I need a rebuild. Its a 1998 moter with 70K on it. What do I need to do to get it to run?

Also In my quest for the truck- is there a better year or engine combination I should look for? I would like to get a truck with a suitable transmission and drive train. Was there a Gas transmisson that will hold up to a mid range powered 4BTA? Or should I just plan on getting a new trans to go in with the 4BT? I did see that the ZG 5 speeds are very popular.

Josh
Central PA

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sure you can run it on a test stand. All my engine prior to install get run for quite a few hours on my stand. To do it properly, you will need everything hooked up you would normally have on a truck. Fuel, Radiator, fan, all gauges, alternator. Running on a test stand will give you a much better idea of what you have.

Here is a link to how I built my test stand;
http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/testfixture

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks great

Can I borrow that set up? How far north are you?
What needs hooked up to run the motor- Starter, Fuel switch? What does the fuel switch look like.
I love that set up you have but I just want to start mine up for a couple mins.
Can I just elevate a container with fuel above the engine?

Josh

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey since P100 opened the door... :idea:

Can I barrow Bandit Paul? I live a long way away, but I won't let that stop me!

;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
that a nice setup you got. and the yellow dodge is cool does it have a cummins

·
Registered
808 Posts
P100;
Yes, you will need to hook up the starter, fuel line and return fuel line, 12 volts goes to the fuel solenoid thru a switch. Turn off switch, no 12 volts to solenoid and egine stops. The fuel solenoid is located at the rear of the Bosch VE Pump. There is no need to elevate the fuel tank.

Hard Charger;
Sure you can borrow the Bandit. Just bring a Sweet Young Thing to keep my mind off you driving the Bandit LOL

Steve;
I just pulled the 318 from the Yellow Power Wagon (Bumblebee) Soon after Christmas, I will be dropping a 4BTA in her.

Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
All kidding aside, I have been thinking about getting the engine first and mounting it on a small cheap used trailer. That way I could move the engine/trans/transfer case if needed and it would also give me some practice building engine mounts etc.

I could see myself working for a couple of years (at my current pace) just getting all the running hardware together and restored before getting into a donor rig.

I too would like to see what others have come up with for an engine stand/test rig.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hard Charger;
Sure you can borrow the Bandit. Just bring a Sweet Young Thing to keep my mind off you driving the Bandit LOL

Paul
:)

:beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not sure I have a Fuel switch. There are no wires coming out of the fuel pump. Does anyone have a picture of how this should look like? If I don't have one how do I turn the moter off?

Josh

·
Registered
808 Posts
I am not sure I have a Fuel switch. There are no wires coming out of the fuel pump. Does anyone have a picture of how this should look like? If I don't have one how do I turn the moter off?

Josh
What injection pump is on your engine. Being a 98, I am not sure what pump you have.

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Say, Josh, there's a terrific amount on information on this sight in the old threads and posts. I respectfully suggest you thumb back through the different forum sections thread by thread. It will give you a better overall picture of what you're looking at and possibly there's a thread about installing in the same truck you're thinking about buying. All kinds of good info is stashed away here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok here is the information from my injection pump
PES4P120A120RS7313
0 402 734 801
6650700091c
CPL 1839
Made in 1997
I do not see any wire hook ups on the actual pump
I do have what apears to be 2 levers on the side- is one of these a kill switch