Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was in 11th grade in high school I started building an Ice Fish house that I would use during ice fishing and would also use it during deer season as a camper. Built it out of 3"x3"x1/8" steel square tube. Its 6'6"x10 or 12' on the main body and I think an extra 4' for the trailer tongue. I am trying to figure out which way would be better to put the green treated plywood to the frame. One way was using stainless steel self tapping screws or maybe using an oxy-acetylene torch and cutting small holes into the tube steel and use short bolts to hold the wood down.

IMG_1316.jpg
Give you an idea of what I am working with

Should I add another piece down the middle or should this be fine for the long term?
IMG_1320.jpg

Wish back in high school I was shown how to TIG weld or had the option to weld aluminum or done this whole thing out of angle or C-channel instead of tube to save on weight. Frame weighs in the ball park of maybe 300lbs (136.078kg) maybe more...never weighed it. Floor is I think 3/4" or 1/2" green treat plywood. Walls will be 1"x2"x6'. Eventually buying a 4KW running generator. Will have a bi-fuel (LPG/CNG) heater with a 100lb propane tank. 2 12 volt batteries to run some things before I get the generator. So all in all when its together my guess for weights is about 1200-1500lbs (544.3108-680.38kg). Will not be running trailer brakes on it, don't feel like it'll weigh enough to really have the absolute need. If I was going to build it to be 20' with maybe tandem axles then I more than likely would run electronic brakes.

Here's to give you an idea what I am building: http://www.fishhousesupply.com/icehousekits.htm

·
Registered
250 Posts
check out some of the tubes of silicone and the like in your hardware store you may be able to glue it on with a few self tapping screws

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't thought of that before.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing that has been concerning me is my wire feed welder is only a 140. Preferably it should be a 180 or higher. My concern is that it being only a 140 that the penetration is not going to be enough for the load bearing for the winched tongue (the weld has to hold the pivot point on the tongue to the vehicle and the full weight of the trailer). Plus the winch holders for the drop axles. Was thinking maybe using a few grade 8 (might as well over do it) bolts to hold the weight then weld for more strength or at least for added security and peace of mind. Originally built the frame in high school with an older Miller welder 220 volt machine and I think .035 or .045 wire. Some welds were done vertical up (better penetration than vert. down) and the rest were flat position.

Using Hobart .035" solid wire and C25 mix gas.

Top side of the frame the welds were grounded flat so the metal would be more flush for the wood.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I built a fish house with a friend in 2002 and id like to add that we insulated the floor in between the cross braces. i believe we used 2x4 tubing for the frame. we welded angle iron flush with the bottom and dropped precut green treated plywood down from the top. used the pink 4x8 sheets of hard foam for insulation. caulked all the joints to keep out moisture and it worked quite well. IDK how cold it would have been if we didnt insulate the floor but i know we could sit in there in T shirts.

I dont have any pictures of it unfortunately. they are on my lap top which died and i havent had anyone retrieve them yet

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try taking the hard drive out and hooking it up to a different computer? Planning on using the same stuff, think its R7.5 rating or something. That is a good idea to caulk all the seams to make it more air tight. Debating on whether to get a camper stove with an oven or just getting a heater instead Would be nice to have a small stove to cook either on the lake or use it up north during deer season. Something like one of these http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/SFK100B.html?mv_pc=gg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAiA2JqkBRDshIOY_9eMghkSJABvNd1QvIF6nV-qGSEUFrLJtWoTi-pu6SqTHCD2EH8qsxNGgxoCd-nw_wcB

Not sure how that would be alone for heating or if I should get this plus a heater.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts