Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4BT, single wire to the fuel shut off with a mechanical fuel pump with an intercooler
The tag is not readable, and I don't see a Serial number.
The engine is mounted to a Cast Iron GM Bell Housing with an Early GM NV4500 transmission(10 spline input) mated to a NP 231 transfercase.
I purchased the set up in a Jeep
The engine has about 8000 miles, the transmission is good, and the transfer case is good
The clutch disc was bad - the spline in the middle was torn loose
I want to use the 4BT in my 1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup.
1. How can I identify the year of the 4BT?
2. What clutch and pressure plate would you recommend?
3. What hydraulic clutch will work on the 4BT? I think they used the one from the Jeep
4. Can I remove the transfer case and convert it to rear wheel drive?
5. Has anybody put one in an Early Chevy Pickup?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
You say the ID plate is not readable. Is it still there? Do you see a CPL number? Is there an ID plate on the injection pump? That could help. Got any photos? You say it has an intercooler. Is it air to air or a water/air aftercooler? With a bit more info it may be possible to identify it. Photos would be very helpful. Old Roofer did an early Chevy truck,

·
Registered
894 Posts
You can use a bracket from Advance Adapters and a Slave from a 1962 chevy for hydraulics and a clutch for a mid 60's to 70's truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You say the ID plate is not readable. Is it still there? Do you see a CPL number? Is there an ID plate on the injection pump? That could help. Got any photos? You say it has an intercooler. Is it air to air or a water/air aftercooler? With a bit more info it may be possible to identify it. Photos would be very helpful. Old Roofer did an early Chevy truck,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Vehicle Gas
Gas Automotive tire Metal Auto part Cylinder
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Vehicle brake Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Vehicle door

Automotive tire Camera lens Reflex camera Font Teleconverter

Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive tire Brick

Automotive tire Camera lens Reflex camera Font Teleconverter
Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive tire Brick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I added some pictures , the Intercooler is air to air

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
OK, that little plate is not the engine ID plate. That's probably an EPA plate. The engine ID plate covers the entire side of that gear housing. Your injection pump appears that it may be a replacement or someone may have just painted it. It has the wax motor KSB which makes it an early model. Probably prior to 1990. I notice that device is not connected. Not a good thing and hard on the injection pump. The parts for that are not cheap if you can find them. That style KSB has been discontinued in 1988 but still used on engines up through 1990. The sensor switch for that device is Cummins part 3915945. Another source is Case industrial tractors. Their old part number J915945 new number 87608380 which sell for $329.88. The wiring harness is Cummins part 3918364 which sells for around $200. That sort of tells you why that may be unhooked. LOL. Whether or not it came with an intercooler I cannot say. My guess would be it didn't. It may be a CPL 0858 which was a very common 4bt road engine. Your exhaust manifold is the style it had and you still have the old H1C turbo. The oil dip stick is the style found on those engines and they were used in the GM P30 vans. The engine is a basic 105 HP and you can't get a whole lot more out of it with that turbo. The most Cummins offered was 120 HP. It's just not a higher performance turbo. If you want more power, change it to an HX30W. That and a bit of tinkering with the injection pump and you'd have around 200 HP. As far as you transmission goes, the 2wd and 4wd NV4500 have different tail housings. You say it's an early one. How early. GM used an odd version up through 1993 and then changed it in 1994. The '93 has a different bolt pattern and gear ratios. It's popular for the off road guys because it has a lower 1st gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, that little plate is not the engine ID plate. That's probably an EPA plate. The engine ID plate covers the entire side of that gear housing. Your injection pump appears that it may be a replacement or someone may have just painted it. It has the wax motor KSB which makes it an early model. Probably prior to 1990. I notice that device is not connected. Not a good thing and hard on the injection pump. The parts for that are not cheap if you can find them. That style KSB has been discontinued in 1988 but still used on engines up through 1990. The sensor switch for that device is Cummins part 3915945. Another source is Case industrial tractors. Their old part number J915945 new number 87608380 which sell for $329.88. The wiring harness is Cummins part 3918364 which sells for around $200. That sort of tells you why that may be unhooked. LOL. Whether or not it came with an intercooler I cannot say. My guess would be it didn't. It may be a CPL 0858 which was a very common 4bt road engine. Your exhaust manifold is the style it had and you still have the old H1C turbo. The oil dip stick is the style found on those engines and they were used in the GM P30 vans. The engine is a basic 105 HP and you can't get a whole lot more out of it with that turbo. The most Cummins offered was 120 HP. It's just not a higher performance turbo. If you want more power, change it to an HX30W. That and a bit of tinkering with the injection pump and you'd have around 200 HP. As far as you transmission goes, the 2wd and 4wd NV4500 have different tail housings. You say it's an early one. How early. GM used an odd version up through 1993 and then changed it in 1994. The '93 has a different bolt pattern and gear ratios. It's popular for the off road guys because it has a lower 1st gear.
thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts