Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my tach in and a little knowledge is dangerous. Now im wondering if my Idle is too low. Unloaded its 760RPM and Drops to 660 RPM when i drop it in "D." Vibration increases at this lower idle so if it low Ill bump it up but I dont want to have a High Idle unloaded.

Is the Idle listed on the Data plate for In gear or in Neutral?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The old spec was 700 to 750 and later was moved to 800rpm , that would be no load.

There is no set rpm ,unless the engine is all stock and everything is to spec. You'll want to adjust it to your needs ,some are higher than others . I made a post some time ago on this question .

Scott

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i searched idle speed, and didnt find much.

mine shows 800rpm, but its too low when its warmed up i think.

The old spec was 700 to 750 and later was moved to 800rpm , that would be no load.

There is no set rpm ,unless the engine is all stock and everything is to spec. You'll want to adjust it to your needs ,some are higher than others . I made a post some time ago on this question .

Scott

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I just cranked mine over for the first time today and at idle its about to shake the truck apart. I have no tach yet but I know I'm gonna have to turn it up to 800 at least.

Dave

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I just cranked mine over for the first time today and at idle its about to shake the truck apart. I have no tach yet but I know I'm gonna have to turn it up to 800 at least.

Dave
Mine did that too - VERY violent shaking! I raised the idle a bit and it's been silky smooth since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts