Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
48 Dodge 4BT project, 2000 Dodge 24v 2500, 2001 Fummins Excursion 2004.5 CR
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were starting from scratch, with no limit on budget or fabrication skills, what would your twins for a 4BT look like?

My project is a 48 Pilothouse being installed on a 2000 Ram 2500 chassis. The NV4500 and Dana 80 with 3.73 gear will be used. My engine room space is pretty open. I am planning a set of twins for performance and economy. The truck will be pretty light, under 4000lbs. Primarily used as a cruiser and might see the drag strip. At the same time, I would like to get some killer mpg's (if I can keep foot out of it!).

If needed, I will put aftermarket pistons and rods in it for strength, as well as, full treatment to keep head gaskets in place. Cam and any other mods are possible.

The tires will be 265-65 18 Michelins. Slicks as needed for the drag strip.

What do you think will make this truck memorable?? I am not interested in "rolling coal", but smoke during heavy acceleration will be tolerated and pretty much expected.

·
Registered
718 Posts
he221 over hx35/40 hybrid FTW!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
56mm S300 over a 71mm S400.

Reactions: clarkoh

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I too would love to try the he221... but the hx30 works fine so far... but a 35/40 hybrid up top would be the ticket for top end power.

Anyone have a back to back comparison of the hx30 and the he221?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Come on guys!! It's a no limit budget!! Let's go bigger then a 60mm primary lol.

·
Registered
718 Posts
no limit on total build? or no limit on turbo build?
If we are leaving the budget for the engine open.... Billet. Billet. Billet.
5000rpms? hell yes! have to get some bigger turbos.
Make for one hell of a cruiser trying to get good mpgs though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not made out of money, but not afraid to make the right investment. Its gotta be drive able on the street too. What is the hx35/40 built from?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Not made out of money, but not afraid to make the right investment. Its gotta be drive able on the street too. What is the hx35/40 built from?
35/40 Hybrid uses the 60mm compressor from an HX40 and the 60mm turbine and 12cm wastegated turbine housing from the HX35.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Not into wasting money unnecessarily and am a Holset fan. The HE221 and Wh1C worked well together. Havent played with BW or Schwitzers, Some higher hp 4Bts came with a schwitzer in the CPL.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I'm a holset fan for sure... cheap to buy and cheap to rebuild... plus anyone with basic hand tools and common sense can rebuild one.

I'm curious as I have the wh1c up top too... can you do a similar conversion on the wh1c such as a wh1c/hx40 hybrid? Are the parts interchangeable?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Holset compressor and turbine wheels are all outdated technology. Borg Warner is where it's at for a performance stand point.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I wont argue that... lol.. But I cant find borg warner for a reasonable price nor do I know anything about their sizing.

Holset is definitely old school tech... but they function and for my purpose, function well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
BW utilizes the extended tip technology which greatly increases flow

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd go EFR 7064 (52 inducer) over 9180 (68 inducer), If all the hype is true they spool like turbos 2 sizes sallers and hit like turbos 1 size bigger.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I suppose if I had unlimited fundage and knew more about bw.. I'd go that route.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have thoughts of looking into a s200/s300 set.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update. Bonus...the Dana 80 has 3.54 gear and limited slip! Now if I can get Ross or someone else to make me some short er pistons, I can use the crank from a 4.5. TORQUE MONSTER!:eek::cool:

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Well on my 4BD1T it's tight for space. So it'll have to be a HE221 and I'm not sure which big turbo has the flow I want but the compact size I would need.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts