Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My motor has the water aftercooler. When I took the alternator (GM) off for rebuild I discovered that the rubber elbow behind it was almost rubbed through. This elbow passes water to the aftercooler. After who knows how many miles of vibration the alternator had just about hit water. If you look from the front of the motor you can see the elbow between the alternator and the block. There should be just a little clearance between the alternator and the rubber. The elbow has to be pushed on the fitting all the way to the block for there to be any clearance. The Cummins part number for the elbow is 3918607. The price is $13.48. If you can look through the hoses at your local parts store you may find one cheaper there. The ends can be shortened if needed. You may find one long enough that the trimmed end will do the other end of the metal tube.
I found a similar problem with one of the 3" rubber elbows on the air inlet to the turbo. I didn't notice it until it was off so I'm not sure what it was rubbing. It had rubbed completely through the rubber. I will probably be looking for a used one of these, but have to get further on the install to know for sure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Beck. Ill check mine but the aftercooler will be coming off in a couple of weeks anyway when i do another turbo mod.
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta with modified H1C
Cold air intake
ZF S-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.55 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes
Custom 40 gal. fuel tank