Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so the Clark 280VO is a 5 speed overdrive. It replaces the older 251VO. After 11/01/1968 it uses the case. That means I can have a Clark OD put together because I found a transmission with one of these cases. My tranny guy is a coy $ort. He was the one that told me about the 280VO and showed me a case he has, a in the 285VHD configuration. So I spend the afternoon under old trucks trying to find one and I did. The only problem is I didn't find a tag on it so it could be anyone of several configurations. See this link: http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@roadranger/documents/content/rr_apmt-0069.pdf

At least now I have the right case. It might be a 280VO or close. What should I do?

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
Go back to that same truck and open up the glove compartment door to see the build list used by GM. That's where they used to list the specifications.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
For sure check the glove box for a tag,
Check the shift knob, might be a clue if it's OD or not, and ask someone who drove it.
If you want an OD just check it out before you buy it, count turns if you have to.

Otherwise what's the question or what are you trying to do?

Grigg

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Shift knobs are smooth usually. The question is which Clark transmissions are easiest to turn into overdrive? I talked to another guy this AM who says any but the VHD are good candidates. The first guy said to use the VHD case!? So the case is not necessary, but would make an authentic 280VO if that's an issue. I found one that shifts beautiful - sweet, smooth, silky feeling from gear to gear. I guess I'll start with that one as long as not VHD. There is an Aluminum cover on the back of the trans. THe guy I talked to said you can tell if it's a VHD or not from that cover. That will make things easier because all of these are still in the trucks. I did look in some gloveboxes, but didn't see the info I want. I'll look again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The question is which Clark transmissions are easiest to turn into overdrive? I talked to another guy this AM who says any but the VHD are good candidates. So the 230790 case is not necessary, but would make an authentic 280VO if that's an issue.
iv got a 280v0 case laying in the shop, i pretty much have everything for it. i'll take some pics tonight if you really need em.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
The question is which Clark transmissions are easiest to turn into overdrive? I talked to another guy this AM who says any but the VHD are good candidates. So the 230790 case is not necessary, but would make an authentic 280VO if that's an issue.
Easiest is to find an OD one to start with.
Have you priced the necessary parts and pieces to convert one yet, can you even get the parts?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Clark 282 and 285 are similar and were very popular in Ford chassis , 750 series . The 282 has a short 4th,[I believe], so it would be closer to the 280 VO ratios . The Ford applications used their corporate clutch housing and input shaft is longer than one used with an SAE housing .

Schlep-----You're awful secretive on your project . Why don't you give us a clue to what you're working with ,and what you'd like to gather up ?

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Easiest is to find an OD one to start with.
Have you priced the necessary parts and pieces to convert one yet, can you even get the parts?

Actually the OD are supposed to be hard to find. Everyone says the parts are available. They seem to think they might have them. That makes me think they are something adapted from another tranny maybe. I want to find out how to do it myself. I hate anyone doin something for me.

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Clark 282 and 285 are similar and were very popular in Ford chassis , 750 series . The 282 has a short 4th,[I believe], so it would be closer to the 280 VO ratios . The Ford applications used their corporate clutch housing and input shaft is longer than one used with an SAE housing .

Schlep-----You're awful secretive on your project . Why don't you give us a clue to what you're working with ,and what you'd like to gather up ?
That's a good tip. I want to find a good source for OD medium duty trannies that aren't too heavy and cheaper. THe Clark seems like a good option. I have an SAE 2 Deutz bellhousing and I want to do my Ford Deutz first and then do other projects. I hae a 4bt with the Ford bell and adaptor I need to get into something, too.

Good Link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/624530-what-will-work-overdrive-transmission-for-f-500-a.html

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Howz bouts a 6 speed Ally :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
That would be great. I'd like to know the part numbers of all the parts I need for converting.
sorry so late, im heading out to the shop now, i'll have you some pics in a few hours.

·
Registered
208 Posts
heres some pics.

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks. That's the 229215 case. I guess 1 3/8 by 10 spline is pretty standard, hope I get one. That is what my current IVECO clutch is. I guess I'll reuse with a Clark. Just make the input shaft look the same and use a redrilled IVECO bell housing. Save a lot of grief.

Apparently that is the older case, pre November 1968.

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Some Clark Ratios:

282V (6.99, 4.09, 2.17, 1.17, 1.00)

285V (6.99/4.35/2.25/1.45/1.00)

280VO (5.98, 3.50, 1.86, 1.00, .8)

I was thinking about making one out of a 282V:

6.99, 4.09, 2.17, 1.00, .8), by just moving the 5th ratio of 1.00 to 4th and adding .8. That way for towing can easily have 1:1 like I have now which works good with the stubborn torque of the Deutz.

Do those look like good diesel ratios?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Some Clark Ratios:

282V (6.99, 4.09, 2.17, 1.17, 1.00)

285V (6.99/4.35/2.25/1.45/1.00)

285VO (5.98, 3.50, 1.86, 1.00, .8)

I was thinking about making one out of a 282V:

6.99, 4.09, 2.17, 1.00, .8), by just moving the 5th ratio of 1.00 to 4th and adding .8. That way for towing can easily have 1:1 like I have now which works good with the stubborn torque of the Deutz.

Do those look like good diesel ratios?
If you need any gears or shafts let me know, the stuff i have is just sittin there. Those ratios seem good to keep you in the powerband, plus od for unloaded situations. Good luck on you project.

·
Registered
208 Posts
when you get ready to do your conversion let me know what all you need. Id have to have 300.00 for it all, but if you need certain parts, ill part it out, it be cheaper on shipping that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts