Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just bought a 4b with 1600 hours on it. It ran a blower on some sort of asphalt machine. I bought it as a spare for my case w11b payloader, but after finding this site I am considering a repower. Probabally a 1990-1992 2wd F150.
1. Does anyone know if the governor issue can be changed for on-road use?
2. Can I just bolt on a turbo to make it a 4bt? or are there other differences?
3. It has an industrial bell housing flywheel and starter I believe it is SAE no.3. Could this be used or should I look for another bell?

Thank you for any help
This is a very interesting site.

·
Registered
99 Posts
4bt

The compression ratio is different between a turbo motor & a non turbo motor. As far as bolting a turbo on & using it I'm not sure. On my industrial motor I just took off the Bosch ind inj pump & am using a automotive pump.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Charlie.
Are you using your industrial motor for on-road use? If so how is it holding up?

Thanks

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
usually, you can get away with a very mild turbo on a non turbo engine, something that does about 6 psi on the highway, 10 psi at absolute most otherwise you can blow some stuff up. this is the case with Toyota diesels, companies in Aust and other places sell bolt on turbo kits for some of the original NA diesels. Anyway, something like an early OEM H1C with the original 16cm2 or the Ford style high mount turbo with the 18.5 cm2 housing would probably be even better/milder.. Hope it helps..

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should be able to push it like a 4bt. They have different pistons with a little more compression like 18:1 or 18.5:1. I think head gasket is the same. same head bolts, head, rods. Different valves. Safe egt of 1150 vs 1250. Max boost of about 35psi

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies so far!

What is the compression on a on-road 4bt?

Does anyone have any ideas on a transmission that will bolt to my sae#3 bell so i can use the starter and flywheel i have. Or do I need to start looking for a whole new setup.

Thanks

MArk

·
Registered
645 Posts
A Spicer 3053A should bolt right up. But if you are 4X4 you will have to run a divorced T-case most likely.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found (and bought) a ford bread truck with a 4bt and a 4speed manual this weekend. I will be using it for my swap and save the 4b for my payloader.
Thank you all for your input. I still have many questions, but I will start a new thread for them.

Regards
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts