Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search is NOT working for me tonight

I have see threads where an inexpensive 12 Volt water pump is used for air-water heat exchangers. I am having zero (0.0000) luck find any of these threads (I need a clue...). Also will need to purchase the pigtail (plug with wires).

I have added air conditioning to a 1962 Volvo PV544 (looks like a mal-nourished 1941-1948 Ford sedan). I exceeded the capacity of the cooling system and am in the process of adding an auxiliary heat exchanger.

My first attempt was some $25 water pumps (VW application) was a failure. Bought 2, one was dead out of the box (open circuit), I have no confidence in these pumps (made by Hungchow?).

Thanks, Russ

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Russ, might go on ebay and search for Mustang electric intercooler pump. There are several different models out there. All are 12 volt. There are used on the supercharged Mustangs and a few trucks. One part # is M-8501-MSVT which is a Ford racing part. Another one used by Ford is a Bosch part which is about half the price or less than the SVT part. I believe this one is also used on some Ford European units. Here's a link to one of those. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Electric-Intercooler-Pump-317GPH-12V-Air-Water-0392022002/372645534737?fits=Model:Mustang&epid=216017537&hash=item56c3679c11:g:gisAAOSwqExcpoI2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Davies Craig here in Australia make various sizes/litres per minute electric coolant pumps for both replacing engine water pumps and pumps for water to air intercoolers. I run a 15l (4 gal) per minute pump in my water to air intercooler on a 6bt, runs constantly whenever the ignition is on.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, each of you have given me a piece of the puzzle. Please keep the ideas flowing.

2019 09 16 Final install.jpg
This is the engine compartment - The classical case of 10 pounds of poop in a 5 pound sack... It feels more like a 3.5 pound sack!

I did not know that Mustangs used pumps - might give me a part that could be sourced from a parts store (probably overnight) while on the road.

I'm slightly embarrassed at age 75. My last part-time job was with the local school district. I remember crawling under a school bus and diagnosing a leaky recirc pump (we had to order it - some one else got to swim in antifreeze). I found some sources, they are too big to fit, but searching on recirculation gave me some more ideas.

Davies-Craig is really going to help. I need to spend some time at https://daviescraig.com.au/electric-water-pumps - Watch the videos and adsorb the technical info. The first time I've seen technical data and graphs, might make me re-think what I'm doing...

Russ

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look deeper into the Davies-Craig pumps, they were usedd on other U.S. market vehicles. I know that they were used of the Ford GT's, but those probably aren't going to pop-up in your local junkyard.....

OR: https://www.stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=63 fails the low cost criteria, but looks easy to get. Don't recall which one it was, but one of the end pair moved a serious water volume in a test at a former employer.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look deeper into the Davies-Craig pumps, they were usedd on other U.S. market vehicles. I know that they were used of the Ford GT's, but those probably aren't going to pop-up in your local junkyard.....

OR: https://www.stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=63 fails the low cost criteria, but looks easy to get. Don't recall which one it was, but one of the end pair moved a serious water volume in a test at a former employer.
Thanks for the link. Even if I win the lottery, 1' to 1-3/4" hose connections are too big.

I neglected to state that the Volvo heater plumbing is 5/8", adapting to anything greater than 3/4" is overkill. It has cooled off here, this project is on the back burner. I'm 75, so I'm getting caught up on yard maintenance while the temperatures are reasonable.

Again, thanks everyone, each bit of info gets me closer to a working answer. Maybe this weekend, Ill get back to it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeff,

Thanks. Silicone Intakes is great to deal with. All my intercooler hoses and clamps come from them. I did not realize that they sold this Bosch water pump.

I ended up ordering a slightly smaller Bosch water pump (VW and Audi part) from Amazon. Amazon was able to supply the pump, electrical pigtail and mounting bracket in one order. The mounting bracket arrived yesterday (2 days) - From Silicone Intakes in Colorado. The pump and pigtail shipped from Phoenix this evening, UPS should deliver late afternoon or early evening. If I chose "Free shipping", it would arrive sometime next week.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all,

2019 10 26 electric water pump.jpg
I ordered a smaller Bosch pump (VW Golf, etc) since this Volvo is a 4 cylinder. The T-clamp for the mount bracket is too large (pump body is about 41mm). Walked into my favorite parts store and drew the weekend part-time guy. He got me all the hoses and fittings I needed, but struck out on small T-clamps. Asked me what size do you need? About 41mm. Pulled out his cell phone, punched a few buttons and said I have 10 clamps at home. He brought me one when he came back from lunch. Car people are the greatest!

Oh, the electrical pigtail (connector) did not arrive with either shipment. The Amazon tracker shows that it shipped on Friday (Phoenix AZ) and should be here on Monday. <sigh>

2019 09 16 Final install.jpg
Tomorrow, I have to create space to mount the water pump. I have gotten good at stuffing 10 pounds of "stuff" in a 5 pound sack - this Volvo is a 3.5 pound sack...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again, thanks for all the advice.

Update: Of course the electrical pigtail (connector) did not fit my pump... The pump was a made-in-Germany Bosch 0 392 020 073, used on several models of Audi and VW

Really tight in the engine compartment, from the top down.
Bracket for cruise control
3/4" inlet (elbow)
3/4" outlet (pre-molded hose with several bends)
Bosch pump
T-clamp
Electrical connection (not visible, my home-made wiring job, since I could never find the correct mating connector)

Derale #15845 remote cooler. Everything is 5/8" hose down here. I got to test drive it today, everything seems to work well, I can not get a good system test until next July.

I am a bit nervous about 4-11/16" ground clearance to the fans (a bit less when I sit in the car). The fans are individually fused - just in case I "crunch" a fan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts