Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting my engine back together I had to bleed the air from #1&2 injectors. Some fuel ran down the injector and apparently some compression is leaking just above the big nut on the injector, the fuel was foaming & bubbling. Will this cause some unwanted scoring or can I fix it at my leisure after studying my options? Thanks,
Carl

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, Carl, but that sounds normal [if you said what I think you said ha haha] That is, it's normal to see some air bubbles and bubbly fuel squirting out when you bleed the injectors. Let it bleed until clear fuel with no bubbles comes out of all injectors and you'll be good to go.

If it's leaking bubbly fuel with injectors tightened back down then you do have a problem. That would indicate a problem with o-rings or something at injector.

I installed a length of clear vinyl tubing just before the fuel filter inlet so I could monitor fuel delivered from tank, to quickly check for air leaks. Installed it a few months ago and will probably leave it permanently if diesel doesn't break down the vinyl tubing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:confused: I may not have been clear. When I bled the lines, fuel of course ran down the outside of the injector. This fuel then pooled around the top of the big nut at the base of the injector. The engine was running and the fuel at the top of the nut was foaming/ bubbling from what I assume was escaping compression. Hope this represents a clearer cartoon. If its a quick fix Ill snatch them out and replace an oring or copper washer. If its not going to cause serious problems I can take time to decide to upgrade or not.
Thanks in advance, Carl

·
Registered
20 Posts
your compression washer isnt sealing and that can eventually cause compression to blowback through the nozzle cap, and might cavitate the head where the injector seat's. Easy fix pull out the injector clean the seat with a wire brush and install a new compression washer and BAMM your done.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dilbert, I was hoping it would be something simple.
Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts