Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done an injector upgrade?? What were your results on performance, smoke and EGT's? What injectors did you use? I am looking into upgrading mine to the Lucas "Prince of Darkness" but I am wondering if anyone has done this upgrade or what is the best option for our engines?:confused:

·
Registered
168 Posts
injector upgrades

I have some experience with injectors and upgrading, one thing you need to remember is that you also need to increase air, just putting more fuel into the cylinder doesn't always result in positive perfiormance. but can and will result in black smoke

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some experience with injectors and upgrading, one thing you need to remember is that you also need to increase air, just putting more fuel into the cylinder doesn't always result in positive perfiormance. but can and will result in black smoke
I understand that. Thanks for posing. I have already upgraded my turbo and intake lines. My turbo now has a 14 cm3 turbine housing and a 54 mm compressor. I have upgraded my intake piping from the turbo to the aftercooler to 2".

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
168 Posts
injectors

Most of what I've experienced is with Twin Turbos, allot of boost and some high fuel values, probably won't be any help. Sorry.Mallo986

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ok, I ran my stock injectors for a while before I swaped in the PODs. I first ran the PODs with everything else on my 4b stock. I noticed high EGTs and lots of smoke, it just needed a little tuning. Timing helps a lot, PODs like timing. Also with your turbo and intercooler you should be fine. I now have a HY35 and a fairly large intercooler on mine and it is awsome! My EGTs are great, boost is at 35 psi, has plenty of power at all speeds, and gets a 5-6 mpg increase over stock. So in my opinion it was money very well spent.

Injectors teamed up with a little timing, more air, and some pump tweaks will really wake an ol' 4b up.

You'll also see some way better boost numbers from what you are seeing now and you will be able to "roll the coal when wanted";)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Crewcab threw in stage II injectors in my truck today. I had been driving the stock injectors for about 6 months. It was a HUGE difference. He did some other things as well Ill throw up in the build up section

·
Registered
20 Posts
I heard somebody somewhere talking about getting the injector nozzles bored/machined to 1/16"? Could have been jerking someones chain though.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
really, 6 mpg? What kind of mileage were you getting before and what now? Also what sort of truck and what is the gearing/tire size. That is awesome.. I have always been scared of PODs for the smoke factory and that I was interested in keeping good mileage. I actually had great results with stock injectors and simply turning up the pump, combined with a bigger turbo.. But my truck is a simple DDer. But I think a little more fuel might help :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
This is really intereresting. I have stock VE pump and injectors, and I can turn the screws and get a LOT of black smoke, so I have never considered swapping to higher-flowing injectors.

·
Registered
228 Posts
really, 6 mpg? What kind of mileage were you getting before and what now? Also what sort of truck and what is the gearing/tire size. That is awesome.. I have always been scared of PODs for the smoke factory and that I was interested in keeping good mileage. I actually had great results with stock injectors and simply turning up the pump, combined with a bigger turbo.. But my truck is a simple DDer. But I think a little more fuel might help :)

I was getting 17 mpg average on the highway, now I'm at 23+. Its in a 82 Chevy 4x4, with 4.56 gears and 37" tires. I love these injectors, but I did back my pump off a bit. Also the truck weighs 6500+ lbs, purdy heavy.

P.S. I also added an intercooler and more turbo, thats what helped get me to the mileage I am seeing now

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes,
We did the POD stage II, very happy.
We can't compare it before/after since they were installed during the swap.
We are gettin' a little smoke, but it just the way I have the pump set.
Jon
Ive only found POD stage 1 or(52rwh increase ones), what are the POD stage 2?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
There are better injectors than the pods ,the pods are fine but don't have the best spray pattern and they just dump the fuel .With any high end injector you'll have to spend more $$ to get them and a stock turbo isn't going to work with these bad boy's

Scott

·
Registered
244 Posts
There are better injectors than the pods ,the pods are fine but don't have the best spray pattern and they just dump the fuel .With any high end injector you'll have to spend more $$ to get them and a stock turbo isn't going to work with these bad boy's

Scott
so what are these better injectors. My truck is going to be a DDer so mpg is on the top of the list, but more power when you need it is always good. I was commenting in another thread and WTFD6 says that he machines the stock ones with a better spray pattern. Are there any other injectors on the market that are specifically for a better spray. I would also think that a better atomized spray would cut down on the vibrations.

·
Registered
854 Posts
So what are these better injectors? My truck is going to be a DDer so mpg is on the top of the list, but more power when you need it is always good.
Power and flow don't seem to be a problem even with stock injectors. I can make all the smoke I want and then some, all the way up to 3000 RPM.

I WOULD be interested in some machined specifically for mileage.
$4.15 around here.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
so what are these better injectors. My truck is going to be a DDer so mpg is on the top of the list, but more power when you need it is always good. I was commenting in another thread and WTFD6 says that he machines the stock ones with a better spray pattern. Are there any other injectors on the market that are specifically for a better spray. I would also think that a better atomized spray would cut down on the vibrations.
I just have them re worked to the power levels you need and you also will know they have the right spray pattern and # of holes for the bowl of the piston.

Scott

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just have them re worked to the power levels you need and you also will know they have the right spray pattern and # of holes for the bowl of the piston.

Scott
Not to hijack the thread, but what power level could I go to (reworking the injectors) if I kept the stock pistons, put on an intercooler (planned for the future) and replaced the H1c with a HY35W turbo(also planned for the future) and would advancing the time help any?

Pantherman

1 - 20 of 64 Posts