Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the inner axle seals on my 1990 F350. It has the king pin D60. I have watched a couple Youtube vids, and think I understand what's up. I have never worked with differentials beyond pinion seals.

So, I have a two questions.

1. The vids make it seem like I remove the four cap screws holding the gear carrier assembly in place, pull the whole assembly out, and after the seals are done, simply slip the assembly back in and torque the screws down. Being careful not to lose track of any shims. No checking run-out, back-lash, gear engagement, or anything like that. Is that right?

2. I have seen the various special tools used to remove and place the seals. I know some guys get along with combinations of regular seal drivers, large sockets, and such. I would like to hear what specific tools you guys have used.

Thanks,

Roy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some of the carriers will not or can not be removed without a case spreader . Rag between the ring and pinion and rotate the pinion will force the carrier out . Sometimes reinstalling the carrier is really tough also requiring a case spreader . I can not remember if there is enough room to clear the pinion to replace seals with out removing it . I replaced ring and pinion so mine was out at the time . Seals , I used 2 sockets and a piece of 1/2 all thread and nuts to force the seals in correctly .

·
Registered
1 Posts
The pinion can stay in the housing. Once you have the shafts out all you need to do is take the carrier bearing caps off and pull the carrier assembly. On a diff that has been used and broken in pretty good the bearings are worn enough where it probably does not require a case spreader. The d60 has the shims pressed under the bearings so none should fall out. You should keep track of bearing cap orientation and then which race goes to which side. You can knock it back in with a dead blow hammer, thats pretty common. If it literally falls out and back in, you have preload issues and you should take care of that. Since the shims are pressed under the bearings you dont need to recheck backlash or anything. remove replace.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it literally falls out and back in, you have preload issues and you should take care of that.
???

Well, the races were quite snug in the bosses (or, whatever you call the part of the case which holds the races). But, once free of the bosses, the carrier came right out of the case. The ring gear diameter is smaller than the case opening. I have the 1:3.55 gear set.

Roy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts