Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, while I realize I'm brand new and there are oodles of different vehicle combinations out there, but I can't help but wish there was someone with a lot of time, skill, patience and shop space for what I'd give my left pinky to see.

Complete installation kits for common vehicles.

FS pickups of just about every real common variety and their SUV equivalents, i.e. Silverado/Tahoe/Yukon/K5 Blazer/Suburban.

Jeeps. XJ/MJ, CJ/YJ/TJ, ZJ, and WJ. Can't remember the two-letter signifier for the older wagoneers and J-trucks, but those, too.

Toyota: FJ40/55/60/80/100 or others, '79-'95 trucks/4runners.

Nissan Hardbody

Mitsubishi stuff: Dodge D50/Mitsu Mighty Max, Dodge Raider/Mitsu Montero

I also realize that some of these need a LOT of modification to be stout enough to handle this motor, but if it's a guy like me driving it, it's used for DD/light towing/having something different.

My dream is to have a 2002+ reg cab short box 1/2-ton Ram with a 4bt and a manual transmission, but they're hard to find with toasted gassers, and even harder to find in my area in SLT or Laramie trim.

Back to the point, though, I think I'd be prepared to pay $3k for a pre-assembled and machined kit to mate an otherwise-sourced 4bt to a vehicle.

My dream scenario goes like this:

1. I find a 4bt for what I feel like is a reasonable price.
2. I go to some website and select my host vehicle make, model, year, transmission, and whether or not it has A/C.
3. Based on my choices, a few days later EVERYTHING I need to drop the motor into my selected vehicle shows up at my house.

Sure, I'd be looking at being out $5k, or so, but I'd have a fuel-efficient one-of-a-kind (in my area) truck/whatever to use indefinitely, as I suspect a 4bt will outlast me, if treated well.

I dunno. I might be full of colon mud, but it's a total PITA sourcing all of this stuff.

Right now I've got a free '80-something 1/2-ton 4wd Dodge with an okay body and frame but rotten bed using a very tired 318, and while it's cheap to run because it's free, I'd like to be able to feel good about using it at some point in the near-ish future.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I 2nd that ,it would be hard to build a kit that would work since most of us that do conversion have to build off of what we have.We would have to have the same truck same parts and time to build and then just sell the parts off,that's a lot of R & D and money to do so .

Any body that can weld ,fab can do conversion,with having this board it has all the info .

When I did my first conversion ,I had no info to look at ,it a cake walk with all the info out there now.I say it's a cake walk,for some it does ans some look at it and will just walk away.

If you are that way than it's better to pay to have it done.

If you have any questions just ask.
Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, completely.

I was just thinking, though, as an example, let's stay the first "kit" template included photographic instructions and included weld-in or bolt-in tabs or other mounts for that specific vehicle.

For instance, let's take Jeep YJs as an example. So, included with the kit would be either bracketry to adapt the 4bt to the stock mounts, or instructions on cleaving the factory mounts and where to weld or bolt in the new ones, as well as any bushings required.

Along that vein, my idea's still a pipe dream, and will likely never come true.

But others are doing similar things....

http://www.rocky-road.com/diesel.html

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I think your ideas are good ideas, but it would be really hard for a someone to do something like this i think. there are just to many different setups to consider. If you could standardize or minimize the different variations, production would be a lot more feasible.

Personally, i look at my project and i'd love to repeat it. Assuming my setup is reliable when all is said and done. Data on 700r4 behind the 4BT is still in it's early stages on reliabilty so we will see.

At this point i don't have a plan to sell a durango/dakota kit, but if someone came to me wanting to do the same conversion i could probably put together a kit to sell them...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that's just it.

I love Durangos, but can't afford to feed one.

Around here the earlier ones can be had with some miles on 'em for something like $4k, so that plus a 4bt and the doodads to go along w/it would theoretically be under $10k for a reliable driveline in a nice-riding SUV, all the while getting similar to better mileage than my Bonneville, but all the while being beaucoup more utilitarian for my karaoke business.

The car can tow my trailer, but I don't wanna make a habit of it. I'm weighing in at around 1200lbs total, so it's not bad, but FWD cars weren't meant to tow squat, in my estimation, stout driveline or not...

Anywho. Thanks for the input.

Also, could you throw up links to your build? I'd LOVE to see that.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Well that's just it.

I love Durangos, but can't afford to feed one.

Around here the earlier ones can be had with some miles on 'em for something like $4k, so that plus a 4bt and the doodads to go along w/it would theoretically be under $10k for a reliable driveline in a nice-riding SUV, all the while getting similar to better mileage than my Bonneville, but all the while being beaucoup more utilitarian for my karaoke business.

The car can tow my trailer, but I don't wanna make a habit of it. I'm weighing in at around 1200lbs total, so it's not bad, but FWD cars weren't meant to tow squat, in my estimation, stout driveline or not...

Anywho. Thanks for the input.

Also, could you throw up links to your build? I'd LOVE to see that.
you pretty much hit the nail on the head with why i am building a durango. i could have bought a decent 3/4 ton diesel for what i will spend, but i drive in the city a lot and i wanted a vehicle i could tow with and not take into the city. I didn't want to feed the durango at 13-16mpg empty either...

I picked up my durango with 220k miles on it for $3k. it still ran surprisingly...

I also tend to haul a lot of big stuff, axles/tires/etc. until the durango is fully operational, i tow with my 98 nissan maxima. It does pretty well and i still get 20+ mpg on the highway with it. it won't tow my jeep though, haha.

$10k is not unreasonable, i have not added up all my receipts though, with another transmission purchase in my future i doubt i'm will make the cut, i shouldn't be too far over though. Your price estimates may be a little far off, depends on what kind of deals you can find. my transmission and engine will set me back about $4500 alone. it's the nickel and dime stuff that really gets ya. everyone said figure in 2k extra to the original estimate and that's probably what it will cost, i think that was pretty accurate.

here is what is online so far. it doesn't look much different now, mainly just small stuff. i'm hoping to fire it up tonight assuming i can get the fuel system bled. http://dieseldurango.no-ip.org

·
Registered
1 Posts
nissan hardbody 4x4, 5 speed

Has anyone done a 4bt swap in nissan hardbody. My son wants to really bad.
He is 17 and loves his Nissan. Just don't like the lack of power with the 4 cylinder, not to mention the fact the fuel mileage is only around 18 MPG.

Thanks,
James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts