Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just happened to think of this thanks to another thread:

I had to install my Dana 60 single handed, on sloped ground, with a piece of plywood underneath for a 'floor'. Not ideal circumstances. Discovered an EASY WAY to install rears!

Position rear under the general area it goes in. Attach a length of chain loosely to one end of axle tube and wrap it around the spring pack. Use a floor jack, even a small one, and jack up the other side of rearend, close to that end's spring pack. The 1st chain will act as a self centering sling, preventing the rear from twisting out of position as you jack it up. Throw another piece of chain around axle and spring at the jacking end to hold it in place. Now go back and jack up the other end into place and start the u-bolts loosely. After this you can jack up the unbolted end until you can get the u-bolts started.

Much safer and makes a rearend install an easy one man job, regardless of weight.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Great idea. I guess the best way to hook up the chains would be by fastening them together with bolts, nuts and flat washers since using hooks could let them unintentionally come apart?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, best way, Bob. I had some deep hooks I used on one side and it worked okay, but a few minutes with nuts and bolts is surely better!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts