Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have swapped a p-pump 4bt into a 1951 chevy pickup and will soon have to work on turbo piping. I'm not looking at making much more horsepower than stock and was wondering if an intercooler is really needed. For simplicity and budget sakes, I would rather exclude it for now but wasn't sure of the implications on performance.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Cummins basically did not uses any extra cooling on engine 105 HP or less. On the road engines, when they went to the 120 HP model it had the air to water aftercooler. In later years with the 130 HP and a few others they used an air to air intercooler. Hot air makes poor power. It takes very few mods to shift a stock 105 HP to the 200 HP area. Basically, change to a better turbo and adjust the injection pump and you've got it. Most find the 200 HP more fun than the 105 HP. The 105 HP unit has 265 lb ft of torque. When pushed to 200 HP you have around 450 lb ft which feels like a big block gas V8.

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
For boost numbers. 12psi boost is about the point where an intercooler becomes worthwhile. Over 15psi you should definitely run an intercooler. Without an intercooler it becomes very difficult to make more air density over 20psi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts