Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm plumbing up my intercooler and ordered some aluminum piping to connect it all together(along with silcone hoses) and I specifically looked for aluminum pipes with a bead on the end to help keep the hoses on.
Well the pipes arrived and not all the pieces have the beaded ends. Will the hoses stay on without the bead?

I have silicone hoses and T-bolt style hose clamps. Looking for max pressures around 30 psi. How about 40psi?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I would have small spot welds around the pipe so the clamps have somthing to rest on ,make sure there isn't any sharp edges to cut the boots. I have done them without any spot welds and use hair spray ( make sure tube is clean ) has held up to 37psi .

Scott

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have used small screws with very short threads around the perimeter of the tube in lieu of a bead with good results.

The hairspray trick is a neat idea, I wonder how hard they are to get apart later,, though.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
If it is thin wall you could use a bead roller and bead all of them.
A car restoration or sheat metal fabrication shop should be able to help with that.

I am planning to build my own heavy duty bead roller just for the purpose of beading tubes, it will have small diameter rolls to fit in small tube, and nearly no throat depth, that way it can be really rigid. Should handle stainless tube.

If you have lots of connections in the same tube it would be much better to have it all welded together and only use the clamps and boots at the two ends.

I have heard of people making a bead of epoxy, when they had nothing else.

Grigg

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have used small screws with very short threads around the perimeter of the tube in lieu of a bead with good results.

The hairspray trick is a neat idea, I wonder how hard they are to get apart later,, though.
Just add warm water ,I use hair spray for all kinds of things .I use the mega hold like the stinky old ladies use.LOL

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mine are S/S and if they blow I will get the brother in law to TIG a bead around the end, but if its for a customer then you need to get it right before you give it back.

BTW how are you getting on with your clutch master?

Gaza

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I've seen some vice-grip pliers modified to crimp a bead into the end of a pipe. Can't remember exactly where, but it may have been on pirate.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Before buying a bead roller to do this, be sure it will handle the wall thickness of the tubes you intend to use it for. Most regular sheet metal fabrication bead rollers will only handle about 20ga steel. Slightly heavier in aluminum, and thinner in stainless.

I did not see any specs listed on max thickness for the Eastwood one?

Grigg

·
Registered
41 Posts
tubing

Looked for my catalog and did not find it, believe they are limited to 20ga
vr
Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts