Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ran their intercooler and turbo(s) in theirs bed of their truck?

I've got a 3.3L cummins that I'm wanting to intercooler and run a compound turbo set up on in a Jeep Comanche.
I've already put another 3.3 in my other Comanche. But it's got a single turbo and non intercooled.

Not a lot of room under the hood and I want to do something different.
Currently my battery is in a metal box in the bed.
Just curious to see what others have done.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
You loose the benefit of ram air, lots of plumbing to deal with, might be better to use water I'cooler, need to mount small water radiator to serve in front of truck, do not use engine water radiator water.

Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had planned on cutting "holes" in the side of the bed for "forced" air into turbo and maybe have it split off and air flow intercooler. Piping isn't really an issue to me. Exhaust is tight on my first set up anyways.

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
Remote turbos suck. You lose the pressure pulses and heat which feed the turbine, which makes for sluggish response and high drive pressure. You'll also have to run a smaller turbine housing to get the target boost.
There are no good things.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remote turbos suck. You lose the pressure pulses and heat which feed the turbine, which makes for sluggish response and high drive pressure. You'll also have to run a smaller turbine housing to get the target boost.
This is what I wanted to know! Lol. Thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
With the Jeep rad being short and wide, you don't have many choices for a traditional front mount I/C. I used a Subaru WRX I/C in a Cherokee and mounted it in the space between the motor and core support low enough to be under the rad. I did have to lower the sway bar and do some venting in the bumper, but the result was very good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Completly agree

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I scrapped the idea of intercooling my current setup. It runs fine how it is now, non intercooled. and i scrapped the idea of turboing the other 3.3 I have.
Gonna do an LS swap I think instead of another Cummins swap next...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Oh please not another LS swap!!!! Sorry came late to this post. I had a similar space issue with my 6BT/Dakota swap. What I did was put the rad in the bed and a W/A IC where the rad was. It was still a tight fit but I got what I wanted. The only place I can see installing the turbo (based on the photo) is over the right fender well. If worse came to worse, I'd open up a hole in the hood and have a part of it sticking thru.

Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh please not another LS swap!!!! Sorry came late to this post. I had a similar space issue with my 6BT/Dakota swap. What I did was put the rad in the bed and a W/A IC where the rad was. It was still a tight fit but I got what I wanted. The only place I can see installing the turbo (based on the photo) is over the right fender well. If worse came to worse, I'd open up a hole in the hood and have a part of it sticking thru.

Ed
No one around here has an LS swapped Comanche. Or 3.3 Comanche so... and I'm not cutting a hole in my hood lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts