Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt get one with this engine wondering how too determine the size on one most. I see are 30 ish x 12 or so is this big enuff or should i get one specific too the truck the engine came from

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think there was only one person on here that had problems with too big of an intercooler, Nicklatech. Might try to find his thread about it... otherwise go big...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any of you guys have problems with boost lag on a large intercooler? My engine will be mostly stock except for an hx30 and the pump tuned and I was going to do a 7.3 intercooler.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Boost lag is a characteristic of turbo charged engines, compared to mechanical supercharging or NA engines. Are you new to turbos?

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I run a 31x12x3 intercooler on a 2.2l Kubota v2203. Most guys run half the size. If there is any more lag it is minimal and worth the trade off

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’m using the same cooler that was from the bread van . HX 30 , governor spring , pump turned up a touch , fuel pin , smoke screw adjustment , 900 * EGT is all I ever reach on the steepest graders fully loaded . 3.54 gears Nv4500 through a NP205 , truck weights 6900 lb empty . 2500 RPM @ 70 MPH

·
Super Moderator
8,804 Posts
I’m using the same cooler that was from the bread van . HX 30 , governor spring , pump turned up a touch , fuel pin , smoke screw adjustment , 900 * EGT is all I ever reach on the steepest graders fully loaded . 3.54 gears Nv4500 through a NP205 , truck weights 6900 lb empty . 2500 RPM @ 70 MPH
Is your EGT reading believable? 900F is what I get on a level road at 100km/h with a slight head-wind. Engine producing about 30kw.

Check the probe reaches the centre of the flow. Is it pre-turbo?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I seem to think it’s very close , I checked to exhaust manifold and turbo housing with a laser , damn close to the same thing . Cruising , I’m running around 15 lb boost and 650* . I can’t say if this is good bad or I’m just stupid , it is what it is . When I was running an H1C EGT would hit 12-1300 on the same long uphill grade that I now hit 900 . I did nothing but swap the turbos .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a used one from dodge truck going too have too cut the in and outs off and reweld them on straight. any issues with doing that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts