Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sort of pride myself in trying to find accurate info when people ask questions about the Cummins engines. There is tons of junk and useless info on the net. No need to add more. Yesterday, I discovered something that contradicts info I had taken for truth for 10 years. This involves the HX30W turbos. All info I read showed that turbo came in 4 sizes of compressor and that is still true. Where the contradiction happens is where those various sizes are used . All info had shown the P pump 4bt got the one with the 40x69 mm compressor wheel. Never really questioned that. However, new info shows that is not correct. A member had asked me to identify a turbo which I did. It turned out to be the HX30W 3592313 with the 42x73 mm compressor wheel and was spec'd for 1997-2000 4bt. This started me to thinking since I had always thought that 42mm was sort of an odd duck. So I looked up a couple of P pump 4bt serial numbers on Quick Serve. The 2 I checked had different turbo numbers, 3592309 and 3802646, but that isn't unusual. Cummins/Holset may have 5 or 6 part numbers for the same turbo. When I checked the specs on those 2 turbo to my surprise both showed the same 42x73 mm compressor wheel. Apparently, the 40x69 mm may be an industrial application and was never the road model on the P pump. I guess it's never too late to get the info right.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I sort of pride myself in trying to find accurate info when people ask questions about the Cummins engines. There is tons of junk and useless info on the net. No need to add more. Yesterday, I discovered something that contradicts info I had taken for truth for 10 years. This involves the HX30W turbos. All info I read showed that turbo came in 4 sizes of compressor and that is still true. Where the contradiction happens is where those various sizes are used . All info had shown the P pump 4bt got the one with the 40x69 mm compressor wheel. Never really questioned that. However, new info shows that is not correct. A member had asked me to identify a turbo which I did. It turned out to be the HX30W 3592313 with the 42x73 mm compressor wheel and was spec'd for 1997-2000 4bt. This started me to thinking since I had always thought that 42mm was sort of an odd duck. So I looked up a couple of P pump 4bt serial numbers on Quick Serve. The 2 I checked had different turbo numbers, 3592309 and 3802646, but that isn't unusual. Cummins/Holset may have 5 or 6 part numbers for the same turbo. When I checked the specs on those 2 turbo to my surprise both showed the same 42x73 mm compressor wheel. Apparently, the 40x69 mm may be an industrial application and was never the road model on the P pump. I guess it's never too late to get the info right.
FWIW the 42mm hx30 that I started with had 12cm exhaust housing I traded it to another member for the 6cm his came with, IIRC he was doing a compound setup for one of the TDI's and the bigger housing was gonna do the trick.
Somewhere I found that the 42mm with the 12cm housing was for a genset 6BT BUT that should be considered hearsay as I can't recall where I got that ;)

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Steve, that is correct. The HX30W with the 12 cm2 housing was used on an industrial 6bt. Same turbo, just with a larger turbine housing.

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
A 42x73mm must have great surge resistance. 33% trim. Inducer size suggests it would be good for about 32lb/min flow.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Dougal, and that's about where that turbo tops out. The engineers pretty well got it right from the beginning. Another very good one is the later model that is a 44x73. That one was never used in the US market but it is a popular one for the 4bt. The 42x73 can be had but the price is 2-3 times what the 44x73 can be bought for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes Dougal, and that's about where that turbo tops out. The engineers pretty well got it right from the beginning. Another very good one is the later model that is a 44x73. That one was never used in the US market but it is a popular one for the 4bt. The 42x73 can be had but the price is 2-3 times what the 44x73 can be bought for.
So how does that compare the the HE221?.. My 4bt motor is down being bored to 40 over.. and should be together week after next.. I'm getting closer to my build finally.. Thanks for any reply

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The HE221W is a more modern turbo and is an updated version of either an HX27W or HX25W. Can't remember which. It is an excellent turbo. It's compressor is a 43x58mm and the turbine is 52x45mm. Typically comes with a 5 or 5.5 cm2 turbine housing which makes it spool blazing fast. Good for power levels up to about 250 HP. Used to be kind of scarce but now they are very common. They do have a few drawbacks. First off, it uses a T25 exhaust flange so an adapter will be needed to mate to a T3 manifold. When you buy one they are often bare. No back plate or compressor outlet elbow. Both those parts are unique to those turbos so you have to take that into consideration when buying one. Also, the wastegate actuator is attached to the compressor housing so changing the clocking can prove difficult if necessary. Here's a link on ebay to a complete kit which is a tad under $600. By the time you adapt the exhaust flange its cost will be close to an HX30W. GENUINE HOLSET HE221W 3782369 37823736 CUMMINS ISDe140 4.5L Turbocharger Kits | eBay

·
Registered
69 Posts
The HE221W is a more modern turbo and is an updated version of either an HX27W or HX25W. Can't remember which. It is an excellent turbo. It's compressor is a 43x58mm and the turbine is 52x45mm. Typically comes with a 5 or 5.5 cm2 turbine housing which makes it spool blazing fast. Good for power levels up to about 250 HP. Used to be kind of scarce but now they are very common. They do have a few drawbacks. First off, it uses a T25 exhaust flange so an adapter will be needed to mate to a T3 manifold. When you buy one they are often bare. No back plate or compressor outlet elbow. Both those parts are unique to those turbos so you have to take that into consideration when buying one. Also, the wastegate actuator is attached to the compressor housing so changing the clocking can prove difficult if necessary. Here's a link on ebay to a complete kit which is a tad under $600. By the time you adapt the exhaust flange its cost will be close to an HX30W. GENUINE HOLSET HE221W 3782369 37823736 CUMMINS ISDe140 4.5L Turbocharger Kits | eBay
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts