Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had any experience with internal balanced motors? I want to install 3000-rpm gov. springs, will the balancer be able to take high rpm’s?

The balancer does make the motor alot taller, which may make installation a problem.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
That's interesting

I don't know much about Cummins yet, please excuse me if these are stupid questions.

What engines is this balancer found in?
4 cylinders I assume, but all 4BT's, or just some, or what years, or applications?

What's the reputation of these balancers? Are they supposed to be a good idea, or something to avoid?

Thanks,
Grigg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I know about them they come in off road equipment like backhoes and Bobcats, also in the marine engines. I too am looking for more info as to how good they would be in a swap.

Rob

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi FireTech, thanks for posting the pics up. thats the first time I personally have seen the balancer. I suppose the sump is perfectly flat then? most only mention lumpy tickover which is solved by raising the tickover a bit. Can't say I have heard anyone complain about vibes much whilst driving, noise yes but not vibes. This is probably more dependent on which engine mounts and the tranny mounts. Saying that I'm sure someone will jump in now and say there vibrates like a SOB. It does add alot to the height though, how much do yo think? can you fit it in? Also I think the 4BT gets lumpier and noisier the more power that is extrcted out of them so if you keep it near stock it might not be too bad. Hopefully someone who has put the 3K springs in will tell you if it adds any more vibes or not. Do you know how much weight it adds? Might be worth a bit to sell, just something to think about. My 4BT isn't installed yet been too busy with my 6BT install.

Gaza

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If the balancer complicates the install it might be best to remove it. You can smooth the idle vibrations considerably by setting the idle up 50 RPM higher. Once the 4BT comes off idle they seam to be real smooth to me.

I wouldn't think the 366 spring would effect the balancer, but I don't know. It would seam to me the downside to the balancer would be parasitic power loss and possible decreased mileage, possibly slower to accelerate under light load.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello,
I would like to try one of those. Do you know where to get another?
Or would you like to sell me yours?
Thanks, Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts