Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Scout 4 cyl's were the right bank only of a V8. I think they were 196 cubic inches displacement, which would make them 1/2 of IH's 392ci V8..Their cooling system is exceptionally well designed when compared to other light duty engines (Ford, GM, Mopar), but their cylinder head port design is abysmal - an object lesson in what not to do. They're also a "Slant 4" in design layout, although I'm not sure if the cylinder bank is slanted at 45° like either bank of a V8 - it may be less of an angle.

With the extra 20 inches of wheel base that the 80/800's have over the MB & CJ-5's, having that offset rear diff may not be as important. By mixing and matching parts from a Dana 20 and it's existing Dana 18 transfer case it may be possible to have a centered rear output Dana 18 (I know this can be done, it's a question of getting the right splines and tooth counts for it to work), which would allow the use of far more common axles. Advantage of doing this instead of just plugging in a Dana 20 is the 18's lower low range ratio.
One common axle donor are Scout II's. If you can find a '74-up donor you get a pair of D44's and the front will have Ford caliper based disc brakes. I've seen some Scout II D30's with disc brakes, but those seem to be rather rare and no literature that I've read ever has mentioned their existence.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts