Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellows. My name is Jose, I am from Venezuela in South America, currently expatriate and living in Peru for the time being. We´re facing a nasty situation (too complicated to explain here) and I´m joining this forum for assistance and advise.
I´m an engineer in metallurgy and have worked in the oilfield maintenance area almost 15 years until my country collapsed. Anyway, I´m not exactly good with a wrench in my hand except for some very basic stuff, but times change and one has to change with them.
I hope to make good friends in here as in every forum I´ve joined in. (I am in some others, like 2 or 3 more on other subjects, like motorcycles and other stuff).
My motivation to join is because I need to install a diesel with an auto transmission in my SUV, and would like to know your opinion. It could be a manual too, but an old fracture in my left ankle maybe hard on it in the future.
Not just looking for help, but to add my own experience once I do that engine swap. Car is a Grand Vitara XL7, actually relegated to the category of almost junk.H27A V6 engine is a piece of...crap, to be honest.
Thanks for your reading fellows!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Jose,

Welcome to 4bt swaps.

If I recall correctly, the Suzuki Grand Vitara is a rear wheel drive vehicle (please correct me if it is 4 wheel drive). Suzuki has not sold vehicles in the USA since the 2013 model year. What common vehicles in Peru have diesel engines, automatic transmissions and the rear wheel drive setup? Some thoughts.
1. Buy the engine and transmission as a matching pair - Bellhousing adapters might be difficult to get in Peru
2. If possible, buy a complete wrecked vehicle, with a verified running engine and transmission - it will have most of the little parts that are otherwise difficult to source.
3. As I mentioned above, common is good - you want to be able to purchase maintenance parts locally.

Bed time here, Good night]
Russ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good day gentlemen!. The patient is a 2006 RWD 4x2, It is a great ride, except the crappy faulty engine. In Venezuela, snobby people doesn't buy diesels because gasoline was abundant...and cheap. In this mess, though, it's near to impossible now to get over 30 gasoline liters a week per car.
Thanks Russ for that idea. I've been starting to consider that possibility as getting an used engine in Venezuela (car is there) is not exactly cheap, and adapter plates should have to be made. I would like to go with as few custom parts as possible. A bolt in swap is wise. Good thing is, here a lot of car use diesel and that model was sold here too.
Will give it a try this next week and will see how far my pocket can go.

Another possibility to be able to buy parts locally is to install a chevy 262 with an auto trans 700, the most financially and technically viable option, because seen it done. But then I will be victim of fuel rationing. However, I wouldn't refuse to install a 4BT with a 5 speed manual, and my ankle will have to deal with it. With numbers in hand and experienced people assisting, things change a lot. XL7s are great cars, rock solid and well assembled. It's the engine (and in my case the auto trans which failed too) what I and other engineer arrived to the conclusion that has design flaws because of the oil actioned timing chain tensioners.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
4bt - will it fit in the Suzuki engine compartment? I did not find any 4bt dimensional drawings on my computer. A quick Google search:

Scroll down to Post #4. You should see an outline drawing with measurements (it is an April 2008 post).

And not all 5 speed transmissions are equal - An overdrive transmission is desired for highway driving.

Russ

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
A 4bt may be a lot for that vehicle. Motor weighs 750 lbs and is quite big. One engine that might be a possible is one of the VW diesels. Those cars were probably in you area as they have been sold all over the world. Those may have come with automatic transmissions. Might could do an older Mercedes diesel and transmission. The logical Cummins engine would possibly be the new R2.8 but those aren't cheap.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I considered a VW TDI diesel conversion a few years back. In the USA market, I could not identify an inline VW transmission, all I found were front wheel drive. Might be something different in Peru.

Are diesel Toyoda pickup trucks available in Peru?

From some old research and Googling - Acme Adapters makes adapters for bolting VW TDI diesels to Suzuki and Toyoda transmissions:

NOT ALL Suzuki and Toyoda transmissions - see their faq:

Russ

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
A 4BT is not an option. We have zero successful swaps off those engines into small vehicles in the 13 years or so this forum has been running.

You need to find the combination of a small diesel and a small hydraulic automatic which fits that engine. That is going to be difficult. NIssan had L series diesels in 4 cylinder and Toyota had C series diesels in 4cylinder but none of them were good engines. Isuzu had better engines but no automatic car fitments.

The most cost effective thing to do is find a diesel Vitara. Even if it is crashed or rusted out so you can take the drivetrain, electrics and everything across.

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
Dougal, would a Mercedes OM617 na diesel or OM617A turbo diesel be a viable option. Not gigantic in size or weight and very dependable. Also, sold all over the world. I believe most all those would have a 4 speed automatics.

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
Dougal, would a Mercedes OM617 na diesel or OM617A turbo diesel be a viable option. Not gigantic in size or weight and very dependable. Also, sold all over the world. I believe most all those would have a 4 speed automatics.
I think it's too long, primarily due to having 1 too many cylinders. I am also not a fan of IDI diesels. On a compact vehicle like this one fitting anything except a factory installed option is going to be a major exercise in chasing your tail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A 4BT is not an option. We have zero successful swaps off those engines into small vehicles in the 13 years or so this forum has been running.

You need to find the combination of a small diesel and a small hydraulic automatic which fits that engine. That is going to be difficult. NIssan had L series diesels in 4 cylinder and Toyota had C series diesels in 4cylinder but none of them were good engines. Isuzu had better engines but no automatic car fitments.

The most cost effective thing to do is find a diesel Vitara. Even if it is crashed or rusted out so you can take the drivetrain, electrics and everything across.
Agree. However this engines come from Spain mostly, but they would be a bolt-on and would save a LOT of trouble....which in the long term translates to money. Nissan frontier engines are available, but they're quite modern and not everyone can repair them. I am looking for something quite basic, non electronics and the non turbo preferable, easy to repair engine. All of the information posted here has been invaluable! thanks. I look forward more comments.

PS
I think this is the engine you mention? Motor Mercedes Diesel 5 Cilindros Vehicular 617 - Bs. 500.000,00

Guy is asking 300 bucks. If this thing is working and it fits, it would be a good choice given my current situation.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Jose,

First, I understand the need for an inexpensive repair - in the 1970's and 1980's, I drove a lot of worn-out cars.

I was beside an XL7 in traffic recently. It is a small car with a short hood (bonnet). A Google search shows that it has a V-6 engine. You need to measure the engine compartment. Stuffing in a straight 5 cylinder engine is not likely.

And what transmission will you use with the Mercedes I-5 engine?

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
Russ, if he went the Mercedes route I'd think he'd want their 4 speed automatic transmission. It was kind of standard with that engine. There are probably some adapters for those engines for other transmissions.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I agree with the 4 speed automatic transmission. I "think" that meets the goal of no computer controls. The extra length of the straight 5 cylinder engine is the biggest challenge.

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
Agree. However this engines come from Spain mostly, but they would be a bolt-on and would save a LOT of trouble....which in the long term translates to money. Nissan frontier engines are available, but they're quite modern and not everyone can repair them. I am looking for something quite basic, non electronics and the non turbo preferable, easy to repair engine. All of the information posted here has been invaluable! thanks. I look forward more comments.

PS
I think this is the engine you mention? Motor Mercedes Diesel 5 Cilindros Vehicular 617 - Bs. 500.000,00

Guy is asking 300 bucks. If this thing is working and it fits, it would be a good choice given my current situation.
I don't see a 5 cylinder anything fitting. But yes that is the OM617 engine in that link.

I think your only mechanical option would be a VW tdi, td or idi engine. But I don't think they ever came with a longitudinal automatic gearbox fitted. So that is more time and money to find something and make it fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jose,

First, I understand the need for an inexpensive repair - in the 1970's and 1980's, I drove a lot of worn-out cars.

I was beside an XL7 in traffic recently. It is a small car with a short hood (bonnet). A Google search shows that it has a V-6 engine. You need to measure the engine compartment. Stuffing in a straight 5 cylinder engine is not likely.

And what transmission will you use with the Mercedes I-5 engine?
Thx Russ. I believe I'd better look for some other way, like installing a gasoline chevy 262 (I saw one of this SUVs already with that engine), sell it, and try to get a middle 90s Ford Bronco to install the 4BT, to use as a daily driver. It's a comfortable car, too, and with the 4bt it should be able to haul good cargo, which can be useful under the current economy we have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts