Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been doing reading on the forums and decided I'd go ahead and make a profile. I am disabled vet currently in college in Louisiana. I have a 2006 Silverado 1500HD 4x4 with a LQ4 paired with the 4L80E. My goal for my truck build is to essentially be a tow/camping/overland rig. Recently had a complete rebuild on my trans (while enroute to Colorado for a week of overlanding and camping, I broke down in N. Texas) and started to focus my next part of the build into rebuilding the 234k mile 6.0 Vortec that is in the truck now. Full rebuild and turbocharging was my initial thought as because I want to increase fuel economy and lower end power. Looking at how much that build would cost me, i figured a diesel swap wouldn't be that much more to do. I started looking into diesel swaps and now, here I am. I am really considering doing a 6bt swap into my Silverado. It is a "1/2 ton" pickup with 3/4 ton suspension and drive components, heavier duty frame as well. Surprisingly, no one seems to have done cummins swaps into that series of truck. The front end is too light for the torsion bar suspension. From the factory the LQ4 weighs in just under 600lbs while the Duramax found in the 3/4ton+ trucks is around 900lbs, so I dont see any issue with the suspension handling the weight of the the 1200lb 6bt. I do plan on doing front coilover conversion/lift in the future as well. I'm wanting to maintain the 4l80 already in the truck, getting a TPS sensor and correctly toothed wheel mounted for speed sensor for the standalone controller for the trans. I havent decided on which manufaturer I plan to use yet. I plan on getting a 96ish donor dodge 12v for the motor and any odd end stuff I can use for the swap. I'm wanting to integrate all dash gauges into the donor motor to work correctly as well, maintain a/c (it is miserably hot in the south), and to be a well planned, clean build. That's all I got so far but any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Welcome.

Start at the top with some research on vehicle testing requirements, specifically smog emission tests. In most places, an engine older than the vehicle is banned.

My rural county does not have any form of annual vehicle inspection. 80 miles from here, Tucson has smog emission testing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts