Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am trying to get my newly rebuilt IP installed, but am not able to get the timing marks to line up exactly. It is close, but one tooth in either direction is way off. Do they actually line up exactly when everything is correct? If so, I will pull the cover and look at the other gears too, but I thought I would ask here first.

This is as close as I can get it right now:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update to what I have found. I pulled the cover off and found that the harmonic balancer marks are no longer accurate. They are way off. Once the gears are timed per the marks on the gears, the TDC Mark is over an inch away from the mark on the timing cover.

So in addition to that, now the cam gear mark looks to be too advanced by one tooth per the timing mark.

Has anyone seen this before?

I have been had a lot of difficulty in trying to start this engine now, Fires occasionally with a ton of grey smoke from unburnt fuel, but doesn’t seem likely to ever fire.

I think the next step may be to try to retime using the gears. By retarding the cam by one tooth, in theory makes everything match the timing marks with the exception of the one known problem of the harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Is it just me? In the above picture with the "C" marked gear set, the gear teeth appear to have MAJOR damage.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Is it just me? In the above picture with the "C" marked gear set, the gear teeth appear to have MAJOR damage.
That is what I'm seeing at least from the angle it was taken...............

Reactions: Russ McLean

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gear pic of the injection pump gear with the label C is an illusion, as the pump gear is only about half the gear face length of the idler gear it mates to for some reason. I took the pic at that angle so you can see the C tooth of the pump falls in between the 2 C teeth of the idler gear. The gears look like new.

This is still a total mystery. One thought that I have now is that the key on the cam gear has been sheared, and the cam gear has slipped, but that doesn't totally make sense either, as if the gears all align properly, the timing marks should also align properly in the inspection windows regardless of the physical location of the cam or pump or harmonic balancer outer ring.

It of course ran fine before I rebuilt it....

Thanks for any advice here.
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts