Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am wondering if a Garret GT3582R would be a good choice for a 4BT.

It is a stock ve pump engine that I will be putting the following on:
Fuel pin,
3200 gov spring
dynamic timing advance.

Not chasing huge hp, somewhere around 200 will be good for me.

Is this turbo too big?

It is non waste gated and I had it on a 6.5 chev. It spooled up at low RPM but never ran very high boost on highway. I am wondering if that is because of the lazy chev or not.

Having trouble getting hold of non chinese Super HX30
Would a HX30 be ok in its place??
They are expensive here in Australia.
$2200 for HX30

I don't have room for compounds.

Any advice is welcome.

cheers,

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Short answer is no. But if you can you link us to turbine and compressor maps we can tell you exactly how much too big it is.
Thanks Dougal, I figured it would be too big.

I think I'll stick with what is known to work. No need to try something else when there is a proven formula.

Just have one sitting here and if someone had used one with success I would have tried it.

I have a Super HX30 on the way.

Cheers,

Brad

·
Registered
10,638 Posts
As the man said, just too big. Possibly OK for a 6bt but I believe that unit has a 61mm inducer on the compressor side. That's as big as some HX40W's. A super HX30W is only 46mm and that's pretty much the limit on a 4bt.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
331 Posts
Hey Brad. Just seen your post. So you know, all Holset super HX30W’s are made in China only. The difference is the genuine Holset ones like what you bought are made under license of Holset & are made to the same standards as the N. American turbo’s etc. Unlike the knockoffs ones for less $ & substandard parts & machining.

This is standard for big companies like Cummins, Bosch, Holset & Cat etc, which have joint ventures all around the world & quality is a lot of cases better.
The N. American market is small to these companies & they build in the countries that make the most sense & most cost effective.
Seen a segment on 60 Minutes years ago & they asked the Caterpillar president why they only make about 10 % of their products in N. America & he laid it out for 60 Minutes show. South American market is their biggest market, so that’s where most parts are made & North is their smallest. Made a lot of sense to me when he explained it.
Mark

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
331 Posts
Double post some how...erased

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Brad. Just seen your post. So you know, all Holset super HX30W’s are made in China only. The difference is the genuine Holset ones like what you bought are made under license of Holset & are made to the same standards as the N. American turbo’s etc. Unlike the knockoffs ones for less $ & substandard parts & machining.

This is standard for big companies like Cummins, Bosch, Holset & Cat etc, which have joint ventures all around the world & quality is a lot of cases better.
The N. American market is small to these companies & they build in the countries that make the most sense & most cost effective.
Seen a segment on 60 Minutes years ago & they asked the Caterpillar president why they only make about 10 % of their products in N. America & he laid it out for 60 Minutes show. South American market is their biggest market, so that’s where most parts are made & North is their smallest. Made a lot of sense to me when he explained it.
Mark
Thanks Mark.

Looking forward to getting it all together and seeing how it goes.

Cheers,

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts