Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
after an oil change, would it be ok to dispose about a gallon each fillup, in the gas tank?
Careful if it's synthetic... Heard that stuff doesn't burn as completely as one might want. But I don't know from first-hand experience.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
If you took it out of your engine because it was dirty why in the world would you want to run it through your high dollar injection pump and injectors?
There are tighter tolerances in the injection pump and injectors than in the engine, so clean fuel is very important to the life of the injection system.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldnt do it..................the only oil I would add id a oil that is ment to be burnt, like 2 stroke oil its ashless and leaves nothing behing

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you took it out of your engine because it was dirty why in the world would you want to run it through your high dollar injection pump and injectors?
There are tighter tolerances in the injection pump and injectors than in the engine, so clean fuel is very important to the life of the injection system.
Excellent point. However, fuel is not nearly as clean as it appears, either - - as witnessed when you disassemble a used fuel filter. I filter the used motor oil through some blue jeans fabric and then through a 5 micron filter bag. It still looks dark but at least if it is filtered to 5 microns it won't damage the injector pump or injectors.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Yes, even fuel is dirty, and you do have fuel filters, but why put oil you know is dirty in the tank, even if you do strain it first. I still don't think it is a good idea.

I have heard of some old contraption, a centrifuge sort of filter that was used to clean used oil for the express purpose of adding it to the fuel and burning it, apparently they were somewhat popular for a while, but not any more. Could be a reason that they are not doing it any more....

Grigg

·
Registered
500 Posts
Quote for truth. Thats almost as a bad as an EGR on a diesel. As one guy said on another site - "I dont want my engine eating it own poo!". If you dont' have a recycling drop off, burn it on some leaves or in a barrel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
anti-wear additives such as zinc dithiophosphates (essentially combinations of zinc, phosphorous, and sulphour molecules) are added. These combinations are extremely effective as anti-oxidant, anti-wear, anti-corrosion inhibitors. Now look at the contents of some of the after-market additives. Wow! Zinc, phosphorous and sulphour! Imagine that. Those aftermarket additives are actually exactly what your oil manufacturer has put in already.

I dont want this running thru my Cummins

·
Registered
854 Posts
"I dont want my engine eating it own poo!". If you dont' have a recycling drop off, burn it on some leaves or in a barrel.
I don't see how it is any different than running waste vegetable oil. If it is filtered well enough it won't hurt the pump or injectors. I am a little concerned about some of the additives but most of those will go right out the tailpipe, they don't spend enough time in the chamber to really make much of a difference. I would be concerned about ash build up in a pre-combustion chamber engine but not direct injection.

·
Registered
808 Posts
With the money I drop on my trucks, I am not going to try to save some pennies and pour drain oil in them. They get d'zl fuel only. Just my feelings.

Paul

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cummins also has a system that automatically feeds used oil into the fuel supply as it adds fresh oil into the crankcase. I read about it on their website.

·
Registered
500 Posts
With the money I drop on my trucks, I am not going to try to save some pennies and pour drain oil in them. They get d'zl fuel only. Just my feelings.

Paul
Ditto. You can dump dirty oil in your fuel tank at your own risk. The cost of 1 injector alone negates any gains from the fuel substitution.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You all are talking about adding a small portion of used oil to your fuel, my question is has anyone here actually ran the engine on only used oil, I have heard of this and people here say I know someone who has or is but I would like to talk with someone that actually does. I can't imagine at 100% used oil the emmisions would be very pleasant. I would beleive that there would be some serious smoke I might be wrong but when I have had Trackmobiles with bad turbos the customer is allways complaining of smoke. Mabey its the difference in how and when its introduced to the air charge but I just think these things would smoke. I don't want an engine thats going to have oil smoke and look like its 3 sheets to the wind and ready to give up its ghost, but the fuel savings are intresting to me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cummins specs are actually up to 5% filtered waste drain oil. My father has run drain oil in his Cummins for years. Your fuel filter will stop anything that could harm the injection pump. I'm actually buying a new drain bucket to keep at work, so that I can save oil from the regular customers who I know have good running vehicles (no blown head gaskets, no water in the oil) who change their oil on time. This will go into my wife's 4bt Durango and my '96 Ram Cummins. I won't run it straight, but I'll mix it in with diesel. I'm also going to filter it with a 5 micron filter before putting it in the tank. With the government forcing us to run ULSD now, I need to add lubricity to the fuel anyway, so this kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Jim

·
Registered
854 Posts
The cost of 1 injector alone negates any gains from the fuel substitution.
Baloney.
I can get an injector for $50.....scratch that, I have 6 good used ones from an upgraded 6BT already.

Diesel here is $3.25 now and climbing. I only need to burn 15.38 gallons of used oil to save $50. If it is filtered to 5 microns and dewatered it won't plug or damage anything. I plan to use about 200 gallons of used oil this year to save $700 in fuel costs. About 50% of that will be used ATF.

I could buy a new pump every couple years with the savings, but I WON'T need to.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have been told that when changing your filters you should fill them with ATF, the mech that told me this has serviced an entire fleet of equipment with no major problems from his practice he has a Trackmobile with a 6BTA Bosch inline pump with over 16,000 HRS changing fuel filters every 250 this doesn't add up to much but I am a believer, not sure though that the practice cleans the fuel system as he claims but then again ATF is chocked full of deturgents. Food for thought.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts