Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have manually wired up my AC using a switch and the HP & LP sensors, but I'm worried that I might actually freeze my AC evaporator because the air very cold. Is there is a generic evaporator sensor that I can use that has a two pins normally closed, but will open the evaporator starts to freeze?

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
All my experience is aftermarket AC systems... Is their a temperature control on this AC unit. The working part (i.e. behind the control knob) should have a brass tube that goes to the evaporator core to sense the temperature of the evaporator core.

If so, turn the temperature control from "Maximum Ice Cube" to something warmer. Some trial and error will be part of the process (You get more icing on humid days).

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
My last Nissan (EVER) had an electronic thermostat on the evaporator which was triggered by a thermistor and set at 2C (about 36F). I'll bet a trip to a junk-yard should be able to net you these from most newer vehicles.

Interestingly, that part of the AC control circuit was missing from every workshop manual and wiring diagram.

2C also wasn't cold enough (because the AC in that car kinda sucked) and I wired in a rotary switch with four positions to bring in other resistors in parrallel which fooled the thermostat into thinking the evaporator was warmer so it would chill it colder. So my vent temps instead of being 10C could be dialled down to 7C, 4C and sub-zero by twisting a job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts