Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the motor in the truck right now, mounts not fabbed up yet but it is at least in place.. I spent hours and hours with it, and if I have to use the big ass starter I have, that sticks out a little bit, then I will have to chop a little out of the frame.. Here are pics.. Are there any smaller starters or a way to make the same starter a package?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
theres more than 1 dodge starter...the one you have is a gear reduction starter...(made to turn over high compression diesels) the starters for the gassers dont have the gear reduction on them...and probably wouldnt turn the engine over that well at all. not to mention the mounting points are different...
i guess to asnwer your question...there is only 1 diesel starter

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
Andre,
The early starters (1st gen 89-93) were mounted hanging down, upagainst the engine block. Unfortunately you'd have to change out every thing between the back of the engine block to the front of the transmission. Just take a chunk out of the frame and reinforce the other side.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think about 26"... The flywheel housing is a '99-on 6 speed, 24 valve one.. But I think the starters are all the same, bolt pattern wise, for all years? There are also starter spacers/etc.. I was looking at some photos of of a '93 or '94 with a Getrag, looks like a similar bold pattern, can't tell the starter is similar or not...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andre
A little off subject but how wide is your frame in that area?
Thanks
also, for what its worth, you don't run into this issue when you use the GM and Ford pattern flywheel housings, just the GM..

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
A,
89-93 starters will not interchange with the 94 up versions. The starters are nose matched with their respective engine adapter. I am 99.99% sure on this.
From you picture I would make 2 cuts into the frame ahead and behind the starter then heat and bend the frame upward along with the 2 small corners left on the main frame rails then cut a piece of 1/8" flat and weld vertically that to the length of the offset which will make it stronger than the original frame.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I started calling around and eventually talked to Steve(?) from FordCummins.com who was very knowledgeable. I think you are right, I am SOL. Will probably do the frame mod tonight.. I also need to find a starter spacer I think... Luckily in this position already spaced out with a couple of nuts...

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Doofus pictures show the problem well. I went though this with my Carryall. For clearance issues I tried using 89-93 starter on a 1999 Flywheel housing adapter. First only 2 of the mounting bolt holes will line up with the tapped holes in the adapter. As Doofus pictures show the 89-93 is rotated in the starter design. When a 89-93 drive gear is fully out, you have about .125" tooth to tooth space betwen it and the ring gear. Bottom line....it dont work.

To solve my clearance problem, I mounted my 4BTA/NV-4500, 1.625" offset to the passenger side.

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts
I considered this route, I also considered doing machine work on the nose of a 89-93 starter so it would engage the ring gear and also have the 3 holes line up for mounting the starter.

I quickly forgot this modification route. I would have a special starter. If it failed, my only choice would be to have that one rebuilt. I perfer off shelf components. I have been to, and am going to many places where I dont want anything special should a failure occur. I want any Mom and Pop Auto store to be able to get what I need. Just my thoughs and .02 cents.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same here so I...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this is also going to be where the motor mount attaches hence the massive plating.. Here is the plate I made to bolt up to the side of the block.. It is going to sweep forward and mount vertically.. Last pic show the passenger side that I did last night, similar design... The lower part/frame side mount is only "well" tacked on to see how much mount compression I'll get once the mounts compress a little. I did a little prelim testing and looks like only about a 1/4" of compression with the motor's weight on it...

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts