Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a mechanic that has a brand new never been used ford zf5, its been sitting in his shop for 5 years. He says he will give it to me for $900 (sounds very negotiable)

The bad thing is that I need a 4X4 transmission, any one converted one from 2wd to 4X4??

Is it worth to get this "BRAND NEW NEVER BOLTED TO ANYTHING" and converting it?

Will I come out on top money wise?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah, he also has two 4X4 zf5 transmissions but those came out of diesel trucks.
From what I have learned from yall, the one I need is from a gas truck not a diesel.

Can the tail end and shaft from the 4x4 diesel trans be used to change the gas 2WD trans to a 4X4?
thanks

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
if the price is right for the diesel trans you can always get an adapter from FordCummins. Esp. if you don't already have a Ford adapter and would have to source one anyway.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
You have to remember that the diesel ZF and the gas ZF have different gear ratios. The first 3 gears in the gas model are lower. I think only the F450's used the wide ratio transmission and they weren't 4x4. Like the guys say you just need the right adapter with the Ford diesel models. Curious which model diesel ZF the guy has. Are they S5-42 or S5-47. S5-47 was a heavier duty transmission. The 42 stands for 420 lb ft torque rating and the 47 for 470. Ford started using that one when the power strokes came out. How much does the guy want for the diesel units? Might want one myself. As for the price on the new transmission, that is probably great. Those units cost over $2000 new. A rebuilt one costs about $1000 plus core and freight.

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
If it were me I'd look for a different tranny. By the time you buy the "new" one then tore it down and bought the used parts to convert it to 4x4, you could buy a quality rebuilt unit. As for the used powerstroke unit, think about how much its gonna cost then figure in the expensive adapter and flywheel, then compare it to the cost of a good used sbf unit that will bolt up to a ford adapter that comes on many 4bt's.

Your decision may be different but for me it would come down to the huge price difference so I'd pass and just look for a low mileage sbf unit and maybe rebuild it in a few years, who knows you may get 10 more years out of the right unit.

For what its worth I'm in a similar boat right now converting my E350 camper van to a manual, I'm going with a good used unit I can pickup (out of a running truck so I know it shifts great) with the transfer case and under 100,000 miles for $600 complete.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If it were me I'd look for a different tranny. By the time you buy the "new" one then tore it down and bought the used parts to convert it to 4x4, you could buy a quality rebuilt unit. As for the used powerstroke unit, think about how much its gonna cost then figure in the expensive adapter and flywheel, then compare it to the cost of a good used sbf unit that will bolt up to a ford adapter that comes on many 4bt's.

Your decision may be different but for me it would come down to the huge price difference so I'd pass and just look for a low mileage sbf unit and maybe rebuild it in a few years, who knows you may get 10 more years out of the right unit.

For what its worth I'm in a similar boat right now converting my E350 camper van to a manual, I'm going with a good used unit I can pickup (out of a running truck so I know it shifts great) with the transfer case and under 100,000 miles for $600 complete.
you gonna start a build thread on your ambulance?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts