Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my coworkers will sell me his 1992 dodge duelly diesel (6bt) for $1500.
It has close to 300K miles, but it was a hard used farm truck. Its already on its 2nd NV4500 ( the pulled way more weigth than the truck was rated for)
I planned on using the NV4500 and assosiated parts off of it for my 4bt swap into a 79 bronco.

Is that a good deal, or should I just buy a reman trans and then find the rest of the parts in the junk yard?

Would having both a complete step van and this truck be all the parts I need for the swap?
(except for an adapter to the transfer case and maybe new drive shafts)
Besides the trans and bell housing what other parts could I use off this truck?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I'd say that's a good price. It should have all the parts you need. You would still be money ahead to rebuild the trany in that truck to put in your bronco then to find it all serperate.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Yes, it's worth that. You will end up paying almost that amount for the used transmission assembly & associated parts by themselves.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I may be wrong, but I thought 92 Dodges had the getrag transmission, not the nv4500? Might be something to double check before pulling the trigger on that truck, generally the nv4500 is considered a stronger unit. Even with that, it's still a good buy. You have all of the engine accessories, intercooler, gauges, air conditioning, etc you can use on your swap and you can still get a little cash out of the body if it's not too hammered, especially if it's extended cab.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dang yall were right......it does have the getrag trans and not the NV4500
:(

Do yall think its still worth the price for the accessories I can take off of it?

The truck is a 3500 model 2 wheel drive and it has almost 500K miles on the 6bt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know,
thanks for the advice.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
dang yall were right......it does have the getrag trans and not the NV4500
:(

Do yall think its still worth the price for the accessories I can take off of it?

The truck is a 3500 model 2 wheel drive and it has almost 500K miles on the 6bt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know,
thanks for the advice.
We can only comment on the information that YOU provide.

2WD Getrags aren't all that popular but a good one will work behind a 2WD 4BT application. The engine is in the upper limits and chances are if you tear it down the bearings could be borderline. Figure the value as a core engine + the "Getrag set" value in your area of the country. Remember if you don't need the engine and if you need a 4WD the 2WD transmission has no value for what you need it likely has little over all value to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was gonna comment on the post about the Transmission, but that has already been covered. I will say don't forget to overfill the "gutbag" by one qt and you will be fine. The 4500 is a good transmission but pricey to rebuild nowadays. That getrag is a fine transmission for what you will likely do with it.

Depending on what kind of condition that body is in, you might have a small fortune left in parts once you pull the motor. IF, and that is a big IF since it was well used, the dually fenders are salvageable along with the bed, you have an easy $500 bucks right there. I am being very conservative, mind you.... The first gen guys will eat the body parts up if they are still useable! Go to turbodieselregister.com and click on first gen and you will see what I mean.

Not a horrible deal at face value. Were it me though, I would take a $1000 in cash and work from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts